Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Fun? With Food

Are you ready for some fun with a teal chicken who can apparently lay dozens and dozens of eggs, possibly because she is being threatened with hot sauce?

If so, then you are ready for Fun with Food: Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch Edition (1965).

This book has some truly amazing recipes, so many that I didn't know where to start. I almost gave you the whole page devoted to nothing but salads that made me do double takes (ketchup and cherry gelatin, anyone?), but I think I'll save that for a salad post and give you a good overview of the book as a whole with one of Poppy's Patented Menus of Mayhem.

We'll start with the appetizer.

Chicken-Pineapple Treats are to cupcakes what sandwich loaves are to cakes. Here, we have pineapple-slice-sized bread rounds filled with pineapple slices, canned chicken, olives, pickle relish, and mayo, then frosted with cream cheese to make the scariest mini-cakes ever!

I'm saving the cherry-ketchup salad for later, but that doesn't mean you'll be deprived of weird-ass cherry-based salads with this menu.


This actually sounds pretty delightful if you like cherries-- lemon juice, orange gelatin, cherries, pecans... right up until you hit the stuffed green olives. Then you have to wonder whether Mrs. W. L. Hodgson was passive-aggressively punishing friends and family for not letting her have a real name, or whether she was a confused social climber who thought that randomly adding olives to everything was a way to class things up.

Since our meal is so much work-- appetizer (especially building, stacking, and icing all those little sandwiches!), salad, main dish, and dessert-- I thought I'd make the main dish easier by incorporating some canned food.


Just mix canned mushrooms and  macaroni and cheese (Mmmm.... Mushy!) with canned chicken à la king (which I didn't even know was a thing, but apparently, it still is!), then bake under enough bread crumbs with butter and cheese that it may start to taste decent if you mostly stick to the top layer....

You may have noticed that aside from a ton of olives, the menu doesn't have a whole lot of veggies. Maybe I should throw some in for dessert.


Squash-based desserts aren't that uncommon. (Grandma's "pumpkin" pie was almost always really made out of squash.) They're usually made to taste like pumpkin spice, though. This one is just flavored with butter, sugar, and vanilla, and maybe topped with meringue-- not a treatment I see too often. It's probably one of the blander squashy desserts, but-- I would guess-- the tastiest thing on this menu. (If you want to remedy that, just throw on a few stray leftover olives.)

Books like this are probably what made going out for brunch on the weekends so popular. You certainly wouldn't want to stay home and eat this instead!

5 comments:

  1. I like the fact that they put the hot sauce in an egg cup on that cover, to class it up a bit, and gussied up the omelet with what looks like frozen creamed spinach. I wonder how you keep the canned pineapple slice from turning the bottom bread layer mushy in the first recipe - even well drained, the slices would still be pretty moist. I'm surprised they didn't recommend spreading some of that mayo-cream cheese mixture on the bread first (that might actually be pretty tasty if you leave off the rest of the layers). Was there a picture of this kooky creation? I can't even imagine it!

    The cherry-olive salad just makes me shudder (maybe a perfect Halloween recipe?). I remember canned macaroni and cheese from my childhood days, so very bland and mushy - is it still available? I hope not! And what exactly is white squash?

    Looking forward to the ketchup and cherry gelatin concoction in a future post - sounds like another candidate for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if there had been a picture of the Chicken-Pineapple Treats, I would definitely have included it! No such luck, though.

      Canned mac and cheese is apparently still a thing, though it's microwaveable now: https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Boyardee-Macaroni-7-5-Ounce-Microwavable/dp/B000MICPUI/ref=sr_1_8?crid=28LLBI28TBUGL&keywords=canned%2Bmacaroni%2Band%2Bcheese&qid=1550928329&s=grocery&sprefix=canned%2Bmacaroni%2B%2Cgrocery%2C156&sr=1-8&th=1.

      And I'm glad you asked about the white squash! I was kind of wondering what that meant too, but I was afraid it would seem obvious to everyone else, so I didn't mention it. I think maybe it's pattypan, but I'm not really sure.

      Delete
  2. You forgot about grandmasg zucchini pie. Technically that's a squash as well, and it wasn't pumpkin spice... I don't know what a white squash is exactly, but I imagine it would look way better than zucchini cream pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. You and mom must really have been traumatized by that zucchini cream pie. You mention it all the time, but I have only vague recollections of it.

      Delete
    2. Yes it was quite traumatizing. Maybe you built up a tolerance living with her. However I do remember you commenting that you pitied the people at the nursing home that thought it tastes good.

      Delete