Thursday, August 8, 2013

Creature Feature in a Can

I mentioned before that in addition to old cookbooks, I love cheesy horror movies. The two sometimes have more in common than one might imagine, especially when it comes to visuals. Today's creature feature comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cook Book (copyright 1968, but mine is the fifth printing from 1970).


I'm not sure exactly what it is, other than some kind of alien splayed out. If we are lucky, it's a dead alien with its legs in the air like a dead cartoon animal. Maybe the green is bits of a shredded internal organ leaking out. If we're not lucky, this is of the facehugger variety and getting ready to clamp those tentacles over our faces and subdue us with the green stuff it is emitting. I'm not sure which it is, but I'm not getting any closer to find out.

What is this creature, exactly?


It is a Mexicali Casserole, of course! Strangely, there is no mention of anything green in the recipe, so apparently I am correct that the creature is creating/exuding the green stuff itself.

I was also wondering whether canned tamales were really a thing anymore since good fresh or frozen tamales are more available now. It appears that they are, and just as disappointing as one might imagine! Should you ever desire to make your own alarming and possibly deceased alien, you can still find canned tamales for the legs. I know my life is richer for knowing this.

4 comments:

  1. Good lord, that looks appalling. I love it! To look at on your blog I mean, not to cook or eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously! I still think cooking it would be dangerous.

      Delete
  2. Just what I needed this this evening, a gory laugh!!! That mess really looks unappetizing. Love it!

    Thanks for sharing, Poppy...

    P.S. I had a heck of a time getting here. When I clicked on your link from your comment I would up on Google+ but the only link I could find was Lidian, who you already know I love. I popped by her to see if I clicked on you where I would wind up and it was Google+ again. I finally realized I should click on about to find you. I guess it's confusing because I'm not on Google+ but, do you think you could put your Grannie Pantries link on the first Google+ page or do they change depending on the link used? I'm off to say Hi to Lidian. I left without say hello, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it automatically takes you to "Posts." (You'll see a line of g+ options at the top of the screen.) Click "About" (right next to "Posts") and you'll get my profile, which has a link to this blog.

      I know-- kind of a pain! If there is a way to change it, I'm not sure what it is.

      Delete