Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Asparagus Champagne

What would you imagine if I suggested making a mimosa for brunch? If you're like me, you're thinking of sparkling wine and orange juice. That's why I was a bit taken aback when I found this in Mary Eckley's The New McCall's Cook Book (1973):


Much to my relief, it is not the asparagus and Champagne smoothie that I imagined. It's just a nice spring recipe: asparagus with a bit of butter and lemon, topped with hard-cooked egg.

So what makes this "mimosa"? And why the extra-fiddly instructions to chop egg white and yolk separately before sprinkling them on separately? They're all getting sprinkled in the same pile.

After a little research, I found my answers. "Mimosa" is sometimes used to refer to recipes that use hard-cooked eggs. (I had never heard of deviled eggs referred to as "eggs mimosa" before, but Wikipedia says it's a thing.)

So what do eggs and mimosa cocktails have in common? They're both bright orange/yellow, like the flowers after which they are named. Now the tedious instructions make sense too-- the egg yolks on top make the recipe extra bright.

When I saw the title I was ready to make fun of a scary recipe, but I learned something instead. This would be a fine dish to add to your brunch buffet. If I were you, though, I might call it "Sunshine Asparagus."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Poppy!

    I kinda like the name Asparagus Mimosa, Poppy. I didn't know about Eggs Mimosa and devilled eggs being the same dish. Very interesting...Definitely not a scary recipe. If Asparagus season ever decides to appear, I may just need to make these and perhaps serve them with a "real" Mimosa:)

    Thanks for sharing, Poppy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is supposed to show up eventually.... I'm just hoping it won't wait until 2015 to appear!

      Delete
    2. That makes most of us Poppy!

      Delete