Saturday, May 12, 2018

A mouthful of lion teeth

I love walks this time of year, when I can enjoy the less-manicured lawns speckled with bright yellow freckles. Those flecks inspired me to post about something I haven't featured often. (Just this once!) That's right: It's dandelion day!

If you don't like freckles (and you haven't poisoned yours), there's a range of old-timey options (aside from the dandelion fritters above). A lot of them are kind of similar to hot spinach salad recipes, taming the bitterness with unctuous and salty bacon, like this other specialty from the National Grange Bicentennial Year Cookbook (1975):


I'm skeptical because I've seen a lot of stroganoff recipes that are overly emphatic about not boiling the sour cream. (If you boil the sour cream, it will curdle and your firstborn son, disgusted by your lack of cooking skills, will grow up to become a drifter who only calls when he needs bail money!) Maybe in this recipe the flour stabilizes the dressing so the boiling doesn't matter, but the other cookbooks make me feel like this method is so risky it might be the '70s housewife equivalent of skydiving. 

Favorite Recipes of America: Vegetables Including Fruits (1968) offers a much simpler and more sedate hot dandelion dish:


Or there's Scalloped Dandelions, in case you'd prefer dandelion greens in a bacon-dripping-and-vinegar sauce with hard-boiled eggs to, say, layers of cheesy potatoes in a more traditional scallop...


If you prefer dandelions in a sweeter form, Cook Book: Favorite Recipes from Our Best Cooks (Ladies Prayer Band, Bonds Chapel Church, ca. 1976) offers this toast topper from the flowers rather than the greens:


Of course, I couldn't write this post without the reason dandelions were a prized commodity 40-some years before this next cookbook was written. Poorer Prohibition-era families might have gone for this simple recipe from Going Wild in the Kitchen (Gertrude Parke, 1965):


Families with extra money for some oranges and raisins might have gone for this more elaborate recipe:


Either way, they would have a bit of liquid sunshine to enjoy all year... It might come in especially handy on nights when they were getting called for bail money again

Life could have been so different if mom hadn't boiled the damn sour cream, but at least dandelion wine might make it all bearable.

8 comments:

  1. Grandma was just ahead of her time with the local food movement. Sadly, everyone around here poisons their yard, so I guess I won't go out foraging in the yard for wine makings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not such a good idea unless you really like herbicide.

      Delete
  2. So dandelion greens and eggs must a western NY tradition. *they can keep it!* I have been lucky enough to have home made dandelion wine. Word of advice: it sneaks up on you especially if you've you drank 3/4 of a bottle.
    Also, Poppy, thank for you dedicated work on keeping families whole & happy! I've learned my lesson on the dangers of boiled sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here to serve!

      I haven't had dandelion wine, but I tried peach wine my college roommate's dad made as a hobby, and that stuff tasted like nail polish remover. I hope dandelion wine is better than that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, dandelion wine is AWESOME. Cloves, allspice, orange peel OOHHH YEAH

      Delete
    3. Too bad he never tried making that!

      Delete
  3. I love dandelion blossoms straight up on salad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that, but I love green salads. That might be a fun addition.

      Delete