Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Oh-- Huh? Oh.

You know how so many people (including yours truly) are terribly confused by Cincinnati chili, that meat-and-tomato sauce flavored with both chili powder and cinnamon, and dumped over spaghetti or hot dogs?

Well, Favorite Recipes of Ohio: Meats Edition Including Poultry and Seafood (1965) leaves me with a similar feeling of confusion (even though the book somehow doesn't even have a recipe for Cincinnati chili).

The straightforward camping setup of meat-and-veggie skewers from the cover may make it look as if Ohio is a very straightforward, no-nonsense state. A lot of the recipes left me scratching my head, though.


Why bake an apricot upside-down meat loaf in a ring mold? And while we're on the subject of meat loaf...


How do diced dill pickles turn meat loaf into Meat Loaf Hawaiian? (I thought the addition of canned pineapple was the leading cause of being labelled Hawaiian in old recipes!) I guess it would be more accurate to call this "Meat Loaf Michigan" for that state's pickling prowess, but maybe the Ohioans were reluctant to name that state up north and chose Hawaii at random instead?

And while I've seen recipes using applesauce to extend a meatloaf, they generally don't try to draw attention to that fact.


These Apple Burgers with Toppings brag about it right in the title, but add nothing in the way of seasonings to accentuate the apple flavor. And why are buttered and salted walnuts referred to as "toppings" in the title? Does each individual nut count as a topping?


Who thinks "chipped beef and scrambled eggs" when asked what they want on their sub sandwiches? Apparently, Ohioans.

And what was, apparently, the Ohio in the 1960s equivalent of chicken and waffles?


Cheese and Lobster Waffle Surprise! Because, you know, lobsters are so common in Ohio.

But I guess I don't have to completely understand Ohio cooking. No matter what I think, this guy knows it's A-OK!


That, or he's got a serious growth in his cheek and he's trying to pretend it's not there by looking so damn chipper. Ohioans are inscrutable sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I am so confused by these recipes right now that I only have one question - what is the blazer of which they speak in the Cheese and Lobster Waffle Surprise (which did indeed surprise me)? I tried googling the word but only got images of outerwear and torches!

    Luckily, since I am allergic to red meat the rest of these recipes can only confuse me in a hypothetical sense as I cannot try any of them (nor would I want to)! Maybe the meat loaf is called Hawaiian because the meat mixture reminded the recipe contributor of Spam, which for some reason is very popular in the 50th state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed the blazer was local dialect for chafing dish and they're just giving synonyms by listing both in case not everyone used the local term, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

      Your Spam guess is as good as any as far as what makes that meat loaf Hawaiian.

      Delete
  2. Gee, this makes me glad I don't live in Ohio :) Granted, I was a bit perplexed when I realized that all the kids at my second high school dipped their cinnamon rolls in their chili FROSTING AND ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were kind of making it Cincinnati-style in their own way I guess.

      Delete