Saturday, May 18, 2019

That little something extra in the back of the cookbook

I love it when I find notes, clippings, extra recipes, cards, etc. in old cookbooks. It's like I've won the world's most boring lottery, and I'm so boring that I think it's awesome to have a yellowed, falling-apart sheet of newspaper with a long-forgotten recipe on it. One prize I won from my copy of Lorain Cooking (by Dorothy E. Shank for American Stove Company, 1930) was a Sunday dinner recommendation. (There's no information about the newspaper, but I've figured out from some of the news items that it must be from February 1946).

The Sunday family meal starts out with pork chops cooked in onion and tomato, then finished with canned vegetables.

The twist I like for this meal is that while it's a take on the traditional pork chops and applesauce, eaters are not expected to eat the pork and apples together. (I know, I know, people love fruit and meat, but I never saw the appeal...)



Apple cream pie is sort of an applesauce-gelatin-custard in a crumb crust. I'm not sure how good it would be, but at least it's separate from the pork chops!

I just loved this little window into Sunday dinners past.

(My real nostalgia is for Sunday suppers, though. We used to have popcorn and maybe ice cream on Sunday nights after my mom's special hearty midday meal of unseasoned potatoes and carrots baked with beef until the veggies were mush and the roast was shoe leather.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I don't have to cook for a family. Of course now "cooking" for the family means frozen dinners, take out, and pizza delivery. Perhaps ignorance of what is in your meal is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can barely deal with myself. There's no way I could deal with a whole family.

      Delete