Saturday, August 10, 2019

A clambake from the meat company

We're getting away to the beach this weekend! I'm not even going to force something nasty on you this time. It's a Goode Olde New England Clam Bake!


I remember reading a book when I was a kid that told all about a clambake. Not sure what it was, though it seems like maybe a Bobbsey Twins book? I just remember that it sounded so exotic (and unsanitary-- I was a pretty big germophobe!) to cook everything together in layers in the sand.

This version from Wilson's Meat Cookery (George Rector, 1941) has some workarounds for people who don't necessarily have access to an appropriate seashore (or for people like my childhood self who would just worry about shark shit in the seaweed).


If you can't put thick layers of wet seaweed between the clams, chickens, sweet potatoes, corn, and small lobsters or fish, then use wet spinach or lettuce! It's more expensive, but probably cleaner.


For convenience, tie the fish individually in cheesecloth so they can be pulled out in individual portions. And since the half-chicken, sweet potato, ear of corn, and whole fish the recipe allows for each diner may not be enough, throw in a white potato and half-dozen clams per person as well.


Then once it's all cooked, serve everything in the opposite order from what you used to bury it-- clams first and chicken halves with corn and sweet potato last, followed by chilled watermelon and hot coffee.

I hope the clambake lasts all day, or you might burst from eating all of this at once... Have a happy summer weekend, and don't pop! 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't remember anything about a clam bake in any of the books we read as kids. Then again you always were looking at recipes even as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was in one of the old books from mom's childhood, but I could be wrong.

      Delete