Saturday, August 15, 2020

Passe Peaches

I've run some pretty weird peach recipes in the past. The world is weird enough on its own lately, so today we're getting some old-fashioned peach recipes that are weird in their own old-timey way, but not outright bizarre.

I have a LOT of recipes for scalloped things besides the potatoes everybody usually thinks of. Scalloped apples! Scalloped pigs' feet! Scalloped corn and oysters! Scalloped dandelions! To those, The American' Woman's Cook Book (ed. Ruth Berolzheimer, 1942) adds some good old-fashioned scalloped peaches.

 

I'm not entirely sure why they're labeled scalloped peaches when there's only a cup of peaches and a quart of apples, but I didn't make up the name.

The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery (Wm. H. Wise & Co., Inc., 1971) has to add that nursing home favorite, sherbet

This has the added old-timey dessert pleasure of being loaded with raw egg whites.

And speaking of uncooked eggs to give dessert a quietly menacing tone, how about a Peach Brandy Bavarian Cream from American Home All-Purpose Cookbook (ed. Virginia T. Habeeb, 1966)?

It's rare to see an old dessert recipe section without at least a couple Bavarian creams.

In case the brandied gelatin is a little too grown-up for the kiddies, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of American Cooking (Favorite Recipes Press, 1972) offers a miniature-marshmallow-and-whipped-topping-filled gelatin "salad."

Bonus points for freezing it in cupcake papers! Plus, as always, it's salad and not dessert if it's served on greens.

Okay, and maybe one at least semi-weird peachy recipe from Mary Margaret McBride's Encyclopedia of Cooking Deluxe Illustrated Edition (1959) to finish off our peach-season countdown.


What is that three-eyed monster grinning at me with its row of mandibles?

Why, it's a Peach Omelet with Mint Cheese Spread, of course! So if you're the type who likes sweet omelets, you're welcome for this weekend's brunch idea. (And if you're a lazy curmudgeon like me, enjoy your plain old fresh peaches!) Have as great a summer weekend as your circumstances will allow.

3 comments:

  1. Considering the fact that I have both electricity and internet, my weekend will be just peachy - well with the exception of not having any peaches. I'm glad that I'm stocked up on groceries because I don't want to deal with the crowds of people desperately looking for ice and non perishable foods. I did hear that some of the grocery stores in the city north of me got electricity back a couple of days ago, and were restocking. On my drive home from work, I've noticed that the city east of me has been getting brighter at night (the lights were on in the commuter lot where I park last night!), so those grocery stores are certainly open now, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got out as unscathed as you did!

      Delete
    2. So am I, it's kind of strange to say that there's an advantage to living in the country over the city in this type of disaster. Of course it would be a very different story if our utility lines weren't buried, and the local utility did not own a generator that could power the community when we get cut off the main power grid. I haven't heard if we got on the main power grid yet. I don't remember seeing traffic from Whirlpool on the way home, so I'm guessing not. They agreed to shut down to help save power.

      Delete