Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Muellers makes macaroni meh

If you are ever at a loss as to what to do with macaroni (or other pasta, but this book has the most recipes for macaroni), then Mueller's Classic Recipes (Marilyn M. Houston, 1972) has some ideas.

Since it's from the '70s, of course it has its fair share of macaroni and cheese recipes and recipes that call for canned condensed soups. I expected that if it had a mac 'n cheese recipe calling for soup, the soup of choice would be cheddar cheese...

... but I was wrong. This uses cream of mushroom! It still gets copious amounts of cheese stirred in, so the mushrooms might add the right amount of umami to all that cheese. (I imagine that kids would be upset by the tiny mushroom bits, though!)

I'm always curious about what constituted "chili" in all those old cookbooks, so I was eager to see what was in the Macaroni Chili. (Funny that it was so formal! Now it's usually chili mac.)

Impressive that it has more seasoning than a lot of older chili recipes do-- two tablespoons of chili powder, plus cumin, oregano, and a bay leaf (along with the usual salt and pepper). But then I saw it also had a cup of sweet mixed pickles! I don't think I've seen a recipe calling for pickles in chili before. Sounds revolting to me, but I don't like pickles... As popular as pickle-flavored everything has been over the past year or two, I kind of expect to see a canned or fast-food version of pickle chili before too long. (Or maybe they're already here and I missed them. Or maybe, and this is a longshot, the idea really is as revolting as I think it is.)

I'd associate pickles more with macaroni salad, but the Molded Macaroni Salad doesn't have any!

At least it uses unflavored gelatin rather than a dessert-y lemon, but I'm not sure how eager anyone is to devour macaroni, celery, and shreds of American cheese suspended in gelatin and mayo... (Especially when everybody knows the best use of macaroni and cheese is macaroni and cheese!)

The Sweet and Sour Chicken Salad does include both macaroni and pickles with the chicken...

...along with pineapple, sour cream, mayo, mustard, and melon balls! There's a LOT going on here, and not much of it is good. There's maybe a decent fruit salad OR a decent chicken salad, but I'm unconvinced that they belong together.

And just so it's not all macaroni, I'll throw in a recipe for spaghetti...

...served under peppers stuffed with raisin-befouled meatloaf. (It would have been so much easier and better to just cook crumbled ground beef and diced green peppers with the tomato sauce, but what's the fun in that?)

I do have to give Mueller's credit for doing the unexpected. We're all pretty familiar with a lot of pasta dishes, so they consistently added unexpected ingredients to throw you off! From the surprise soup and pickles to the unexpected gelatin, melon, and raisins, the recipes keep you guessing! (Guessing you will just make the same thing you usually make instead of trying one of these concoctions, I'm assuming.)

No comments:

Post a Comment