Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Top Value Recipes in a Low Value Menu

Sorry, but we have to crank up The Human League and bust out the E.T. toys. This week, we're getting a little more current than usual with Top Value Favorites (Top Value & TV Travel Employees for United Way Campaign) from 1982.

Yes, this is another one of those irresistible community cookbooks with tons and tons of recipes from home cooks. Today I'm going with the totally incompatible menu theme, so let's get started with an appetizer that will bear no relation to what is to come:


You may also notice that Pizza Go Rounds bear no real relation to pizza, unless your idea of pizza involves slices of rye party bread topped with a blob of a sausage, Velveeta, and "ketsup" mixture.

Maybe we should cleanse our palates before the main course with a salad.


Or should I say "salad," since this concoction of sugar, cream cheese, grated carrot, and pineapple is essentially a carrot cake in gelatin form? (Hey, at least it will probably taste all right!)

No community cookbook tour would be complete without a dip into some international specialty that would be recognized by no one from the region it supposedly represents (if anyone can even figure out what that region might be). That means our next course has to be an Oriental Sandwich.


I just want to note that I am NOT responsible for the title of this mixture of cream of mushroom soup, turkey, celery, water chestnuts, and onions slathered on hot dog buns and then broiled. (I guess the soy sauce and optional water chestnuts make this "oriental"?)

In case the courses so far haven't been enough to give you indigestion, it's time for dessert...


...which is basically buttercream icing mixed with raw eggs, then dumped into a pie shell and topped with bananas, canned pineapple, and Cool Whip. "Supreme Dessert" indeed.

I think maybe I'd stick to a second helping of "salad."

9 comments:

  1. I just love Evelyn Behrenshausen's confidence in her not all homemade dessert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey! She spread the Cool Whip on top all by herself!

      Delete
  2. A month or so ago I saw a recipe that called for salad marshmallows. I had one of those moments where I thought about words that do not go together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. You've got to love people who don't see "salad marshmallows" as a contradiction in terms.

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is a perfect American midcentury meal with all of the essential processed foods - Velveeta, Jell-O, canned cream soup, and Cool Whip! I'll bet just about every home in the nation has at least two of the four in their kitchens right now (and most probably have all four). I know I've got the Jell-O and canned soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good microcosm of that eating style, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. The thought of the sweetness of that pie makes me queezy

    ReplyDelete