Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Holiday Magic from Highland County Seniors

I'm going to tell you a secret. This is the first new post I've written in months. I knew fall semester was going to be crazy busy, so everything I've posted since the end of August got written over summer vacation. I just did quick edits and posted leftovers for the past few months.

But now I've got a bit of actual time to look through new old cookbooks and write new posts! When I had trouble picking a theme for today's featured cookbook, I decided to go with a Christmas just because I can make it seasonally appropriate in real time! I'm too lazy to put up any decorations this year, so pretending a thoroughly ordinary community cookbook is Christmassy is my rough equivalent of stringing up some multicolored lights.

The Highland County Senior Citizens Center went with the thoroughly original title "Cook Book" (now with scare quotes!). As the cover indicates, it's from 1976, and I guess the vaguely boxy building is the senior center. Looks like a really warm, inviting place... or maybe an abandoned factory. Could go either way.

We'll start with the holiday recipe that grandmas were known to force on people as a gift-- with one slight twist.


If you're not on board for fruitcake, I'm not sure whether the addition of pork makes it sound more or less appealing. At least it will be a different kind of weird....

I remember reading about making snow ice cream somewhere when I was a kid, and I remember thinking that it had to be made up. Nobody made it, right? I mean, sugar dumped on snow would basically be the crappiest version of a snow-cone ever. But apparently, snow ice cream was a real thing (and it did involve more than just snow and sugar, so my imagination clearly fell short).


Maybe the cream and vanilla (along with constant tossing) would make this more worthwhile.... But the chance of eating twigs, dead leaves, and/or dog piss still leaves me underwhelmed by the thought of snow cream. (Maybe the holiday magic of Christmas Snow Cream makes the debris turn into candy? Just keep telling yourself-- hey, that's chocolate!)

For those who like to give away mini baked goods as gifts, the book has an idea I hadn't really considered before:


The 7-Up Pumpkin Nut Bread doesn't just use 7-Up as an ingredient. Look at the baking directions. you're supposed to bake it in 12-oz. 7-Up cans for four mini loaves. It's a cute idea, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to get out. It's the gift that says, "Happy Holidays, and good luck enjoying this present!"

If you want pumpkin and there's a shortage, though, the pumpkin bread won't do. Doesn't matter-- the book still has you covered. I'm going to call this a distant cousin of mock apple pie, though no crackers are involved.


Yes-- Magic Pumpkin Pie turns pineapple-- through the magic of spices and Eagle Brand milk-- into a pie-like thing that you can unconvincingly tell people is pumpkin. I'm guessing it would be especially unconvincing if you used a can of pineapple rings. (This doesn't specify what kind of canned pineapple after, all!)

I just hope the book has enough holiday magic to make your week a little bit weirder, like Aunt Bethany's Jell-O mold (which is somehow not in this book, possibly because it predates Aunt Bethany's reign of benevolent terror by more than a decade).

7 comments:

  1. My Christmas decorating goes as far as hanging some ornaments on my bulletin board. Granted, some of them stay there all year just because...
    Well, you finally found a holiday treat that was worse than those vile holiday fruit cookies the parents made. I also remember grandma talking about mixing sugar and cream to make ice cream. If you think about it, their standards were a bit different then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a Halloween mood table every year, and mine is still up. Maybe I should just get some mini Santa hats to put on my skulls and Cthulhu and Leatherface.

      Maybe grandma was where I heard about the snow ice cream? I thought I'd read it somewhere, but I could be wrong. I do see holiday fruit cookie recipes occasionally, and I always wonder if they're the same as the ones the parents made. I didn't copy their recipe, so I never know.

      Delete
    2. I never thought that hard about the holiday fruit cookie recipe. I did notice I recoiled with revulsion when I walked by the candied fruit at the grocery store the other day. I guess I still feel the same about those cookies.

      Delete
  2. I've done a pork sausage cake before. A friend and I were morbidly curious. It looked like a normal recipe right up until you added a huge wad of raw pork sausage to the batter.

    It was.... interesting. Like, you know those breakfast casseroles that involve stacking cooked sausage links, canned biscuits, and maple(ish) syrup? Imagine one of those, only not very good.

    ...Well, I say "not very good." I couldn't finish it. My friend forbade me to leave any with her. And yet, my roommate at the time polished off the barely-touched cake and asked if I was making it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there's some kind of gene for liking pork in cake? I had a recipe for a bratwurst cake a few years ago: https://granniepantries.blogspot.com/2015/12/you-keep-using-that-word-i-do-not-think.html.

      Somebody must like those things if there are so many recipes, and we know your former roommate must have been one of them.

      Delete
    2. I really do wonder about that. Maybe its one of those family traditions that evolve out of shared horror.

      Oh Lord. I just looked up that recipe, and they had me at "Mix together bratwurst and sugar." There are some sentences that should not exist.

      Delete
    3. That sounds like an instruction 70s Dinner Party would highlight on Twitter!

      Delete