Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Wrap Yourself or a Loved One in Dough!

We're approaching the high holy day of appetizers-- New Year's Day-- so today I'm going to tease your appetites.

I'm teasing them just like the pathetic cornucopia barely coughing up a few loose apples on the cover of Favorite Recipes of the Hartford Homemakers Club (1975).

My copy has obviously seen better days, maybe because the previous owner really liked spreading thickened cans of tomato soup on things.


You could serve the gelatin-infused tomato soup, mayo, shrimp, and celery concoction with crackers, but it might be even more exciting slopped over California rolls.


The term meant something much, much different in 1970s small-town Ohio than it does today.

If you're not up to making homemade bread, though, there's always Pillsbury.


I've got to admit that I just liked the name "Poppin' Fresh Barbecups." Well, that and the name "Ronda Butt." I really hope that was her married name because the playground must have been brutal if she had to be Ronda Butt in second grade!

My favorite app recipe, though, is the one that alerted me to the fact that Pillsbury used to make a product that sounded like a novelty prophylactic.


Check it out-- Onion Crunch Sticks call for packages of Pillsbury's Wiener Wrap! I thought this might be some 1970s small-town Ohio slang for cans of crescent rolls, but Pillsbury Wiener Wrap was a real thing! I can't tell you how much that makes my day! I'm going to tell Mr. Crocker about that right now because he will laugh his butt off....

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the executives at Pillsbury invented the wiener wrap to cover the code name for what mommy and daddy used after the kids went to bed. When the kids asked about it, they could just show the the product and say that they were talking about work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then somebody thought, hey, we should actually make this a product!

      Delete