Saturday, June 13, 2020

Chillin' with Some Sandwiches

There's not much better than enjoying a warm mid-June weekend with a nice cold sandwich, right? Let's see what American Family Cookbook (Staff of the Culinary Arts Institute, 1979) would suggest.

First, a selection of the semi-random things mixed together and spread on bread variety. All of these are supposed to be enough filling for four sandwiches.


In case you've ever wanted to have a baked bean salad sandwich instead of just plain old baked beans, this one is for you. (It's a good thing I posted this one for summer vacation... and a year when school was out anyway... because it would really suck to spend the rest of the day at school after eating  a bean-and-raw-onion sandwich sandwich for lunch. Well, unless you had no shame and wanted to clear out all the nearby seats.)

If you'd rather go for a more traditional ham salad, here's a recipe that's kind of ham salad adjacent.


I could imagine Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes fame telling Susie Derkins that deviled ham mixed with raisins and pecans is raw ground beef infested with bugs. (And then she wouldn't want to eat lunch, even though plenty of girls are not that squeamish. Grandpa used the bug trick to get me to eat raisin bran when I was little.)

If you want something that seems a little more modern, here is a '70s equivalent to avocado toast.


I've seen menus with BLATs (bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato). This is more like a BAP (bacon, avocado, and parsley). Nix the mayo and use veggie bacon and I am there.

The book also has a peanut butter recipe for citrus lovers-- 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup orange juice, a teaspoon of grated orange peel, and 1/3 cup of shredded coconut-- but it was too close to the fold for me to get a good scan. (I don't know how that sounds to you, but it sounds like a good way to ruin peanut butter to me. I've never wished for peanut butter to be runny and full of pencil shavings.)

And finally, a more complicated recipe, and one that easily fits my funny name collection.


Of course everyone loves Tuna Hobos because they're so cute trying to hold onto their bindles when they don't have any hands. That's why you don't want to go with a regular old Tuna Hobo, but a Paul Bunyan-Sized Tuna Hobo, which is essentially a party-sized sub with tuna salad under the lunch meat. (I always thought tuna was just to eat when you were out of lunch meat, but the staff of the Culinary Arts Institute thinks they make a fine couple.)

In any case...


2 comments:

  1. The baked bean sandwich would certainly promote social distancing. I can't help but think that would turn into a really soggy sandwich.
    If you really think about it, dead bugs would probably be more nutritious than raisins. I know a lot of people who would find them to hold the same level of appeal. Even though I was a person who liked raisins, I still found raisin cookies to be a bit of a disappointment (and I definitely DO NOT want them in my deviled ham).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-- I know the beans are drained, but it's still got to be soggy! And dead bugs are protein rather than concentrated sugar, so probably better overall than raisins.

      Delete