Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Regotta Regatta



I was expecting things to be a little bit high-end in the Fayerweather Auxiliary Cookbook (Women's Auxiliary of the Fayerweather Yacht Club, Inc., 1977-78). If you have a yacht, you have to be at least a little upscale, right?

So of course, the salad can't really be a dessert dressed up in a box of Jell-O.


It's a dessert dressed up in half a can of frozen daiquiri mix. (And I am seriously wondering about whoever thought mixing daiquiri mix with mayonnaise was a stroke of genius! Maybe all the hours of lying in the sun on the yacht deck boiled their brain?)

Of course, their beef stew isn't a simple mix of beef with onions, potatoes, and peas in a rich broth.


It's beef with onions, stuffed olives, and tomato soup. (Yeah! Show off that you've got olive money instead of potato money!)

And their toast can't be plain old toasted bread.


It's got to be grinder rolls soaked in wine and sautéed in butter.

When I got to the sweet chapter, I thought maybe their desserts actually had to be yacht-themed. Maybe "regotta" is an alternate spelling of "regatta"?


Nope. Since the yellow cake is supposed to be topped with a couple pounds of "regotta cheese," I finally figured out that it's an alternate spelling of ricotta. (I'm pretty quick that way.) So, yeah, the well-off eat cake-mix cakes too! They just try to transform them into cheesecakes!

The rich are almost like the rest of us! Just as crazy, but a slightly fancier form of crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Most of these recipes make me think that the reason rich people are thin is that you don't want to eat that stuff. As usual the dessert table at this potluck looks the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could go for a cheesecake-esque cake-- especially if I used chocolate cake mix instead of yellow.

      Delete