Saturday, November 6, 2021

A little wining and peanut butter that won't stick to the roof of your mouth

I wasn't sure that Secrets of Salt-Free Cooking (Jeanne Jones, 1979) especially needed a chapter on beverages. After all, most drinks (aside from thin soups-- which could be in the soup chapter, after all!) don't have all that much salt to begin with, or they would make us thirstier rather than quenching our thirst. The book offers a couple of, shall we say, unique recipes along with the expected fruit drinks.

I'm usually thrilled to find peanut butter recipes because I'm a peanut butter fiend, but when I'm looking for a refreshing drink, peanut butter doesn't exactly spring to mind.



Jeanne Jones thinks it can make a fine beverage, though. Well, maybe if it's part of something creamy and lightly sweetened with dates? I'll admit that she's right about it being an "unusual beverage," and a small part of me wonders if the "delicious" might also be true.

This other recipe, though, well... If you don't drink alcohol but keep it around anyway in the hopes that you can one day ruin it so you can drink it, the Calorie-Counter's Wine is perfect!


Just heat up real wine, set it aflame, burn off the alcohol, then chill. It's always a good sign when even the recipe writer has to acknowledge that the creation "is certainly not an epicurean delight." It's already making Peanut Butter Punch seem reasonable by comparison.

Well, this has put me in the mood to crack open a personal-size bottle of Prosecco, so that's all for now. (And you can bet that it's going straight to my mouth-- not getting ignited first!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad they put the peanut butter thing in a blender because the chopped dates were really throwing me off. I'm also imagining the blade of the blender caked with the peanut butter. Shouldn't you heat that stuff up so it would blend better? Also, high protein? I swear anything with like 4 grams of protein is called high protein these days.
    The calorie counter wine is also, um, wow, why bother? Let's take cheap wine and make it taste worse while taking away the reason most people drink alcohol in the first place. There's a reason why there are so many jokes about non alcoholic beer. Just water down some grape juice and keep your eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The protein craze has been around forever...

      I also love the line "Just water down some grape juice and keep your eyebrows." It would be fun to slip that into a conversation a propos of nothing.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you like the line about watering down grape juice and keeping your eyebrows. I can't tell you how many flash burns I did burn consults for. I wonder how big the cloud of vaporized alcohol was when you were supposed to light the match. Pray for good ventilation and stand back from the stove when you do it!

      Delete