Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Pumpkin pie-palooza!

 As I was perusing the Re/Max Holiday Cookbook (1977), I expected to see all the regular holiday main dishes-- roast turkey, spiced ham, maybe goose-- along with a ton of desserts-- fruitcake, dozens and dozens of cookies, a pumpkin pie recipe or two.


And while I did see those things, I realized I had seriously underestimated the pumpkin pie department. I expected one standard-issue pumpkin pie and maybe a common variation, like pumpkin chiffon or impossible pumpkin pie. I was completely wrong, as there are no recipes to fit any of those descriptions. Instead, there's nearly a half-dozen quirky pumpkin pie variations, one for nearly every taste except for the inveterate pumpkin-hater. So for once, I'm going to be nice and give you a glut of actually good-sounding (for the most part) recipes.

For the caramel lover, there's Pumpkin Caramel Crunch Pie.

Maybe add some flaky salt to the chopped walnut topping for a twist on salted caramel, and this could seem like a modern recipe.

For the person who loves old-school meringue pies, but wishes to spice things up a bit, there's Pumpkin Pie with Ginger Meringue.

Real bits of crystallized ginger in the meringue! I'm hungry just thinking about it.

For those who are nutty, like me, there's a Walnut Pumpkin Pie...

...with Maple Walnut Cream! I know Cool Whip is the standard for 1970s dessert recipes, but I'm definitely team Maple Walnut Cream.

For people who only see Thanksgiving as a gateway to Christmas, there's Eggnog Pumpkin Pie.

And for those who have a whole headache of family coming ("Headache" is the collective noun for family members, isn't it?) and too little patience to make multiple pies, there's Pumpkin Pie Squares.

The recipe may well serve more than 15 if some of your guests object to pumpkin pie that tastes the way sunblock smells and has a texture like someone emptied a pencil sharpener into it. (Yep, that's my reminder that I hate coconut!)

There you go: a pumpkin pie for just about everyone! Poppy can be nice occasionally. Don't expect it to last all the way to the next Pieathalon, though.

Have a happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate it.

2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin pie squares. I remember making impossible pumpkin pie in a square baking dish because it was the only one big enough to hold it. I agree that the maple cream sounds fantastic. That would be way better than cool whip - even chocolate cool whip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably easier to cut and serve in a square dish.

      Delete