Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Tidings of Jell-O and Joy

Inspired by The Takeout's "Jiggle All the Way" week, I decided it's time for Joys of Jell-O Gelatin.


Okay, this 1981 General Foods book is a bit newer than I usually go, but of course I can't ignore anything Jell-O-y. Plus, we had this book when I was a kid, so it's pretty nostalgic for me.

Since The Takeout is honoring seasonally appropriate Jell-O dishes, this post will too. Let's start out with a sparkly red and green salad.

The pineapple burst on top is almost enough to make me forget how dreary December usually is. And while the name doesn't specifically refer to the holidays, it is appropriate for gift wrapping.

Plus, Ribbon Salad offers that old holiday favorite: fruit-flavored gelatin with mayonnaise (or at least Miracle Whip). 

In our family, homemade marshmallows were a Christmas tradition. While my immediate family typically made plain vanilla or sometimes mint-flavored marshmallows, grandma liked to make fruity ones.


The book sells these as Easter treats since they're pastel, but I assure you that kids are just as excited to eat pink and green marshmallows at Christmas as at Easter!

I have a feeling the more traditional grandmas were busy making this showpiece instead:


While I'll admit that the red and green look nice, I can't help but thinking how much cooler an all-red blood splatter cake or an orange-and-black-cherry cake would look for Halloween.

And finally, if you want to ring in the new year with some jiggly holiday cheer that won't leave you with a hangover, Jell-O offers this:


I'm not sure there's a huge demand for non-alcoholic egg-free nog that tastes vaguely of artificial lemon and is so thick it can be unmolded, but if that's your thing, Jell-O can help!

Have yourself a jellied little Christmas this year!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the jellied holiday nog is for all the people who hate eggnog (so they can have another nog to add to their list of things to hate)? Now you're making me think maybe I should make some marshmallows to give to friends for the holiday. I have a box of knox, and there's some corn syrup in the back of my cupboard (if it hasn't molded - I had a bottle do that once).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I did not know corn syrup could mold. That makes me wonder about the state of mine. I bought a bottle-- maybe five years ago?-- because I wanted to make buckeyes but ended up being too lazy. Seeing as how I've needed it so desperately, I guess it doesn't really matter whether it's moldy.

      Delete
    2. I was shocked that corn syrup could mold, too. I only saw it happen once, and it was really obvious. The mold was in the top of the bottle (above the liquid). The quick glance of the partially used bottle in my pantry did not show any mold, but I would still inspect it closely before using it to make something.

      Delete