Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Entertaining? Let's entertain the idea...

People are getting their vaccinations! (Or at least hoping they can get vaccinated soon.) We all know what that means. After a year of blissful peace and a good excuse not to feel pressured into being sociable, it's time for some entertaining.

Better Homes and Gardens is prepared with Recipes for Entertaining (1972). I love how orangey-yellow this cover is! From the yellow octagonal plates to the orange daisies and crinkle-cut carrots to the cheese ball and curry-salad-filled tomato tidbits, this plays into my secret conviction that the 1970s were entirely rust-colored.

And since most people who are not me will probably think that the return of social gatherings is sweet, here's an unexpectedly sweet menu for them. We'll start out with that genre that I can't stand, but it must be beloved since it comes up so oftensweet meat.

Fruit-Stuffed Pork Crown is really fruit stuffed: apple, raisins, orange, and a full pound of cranberry sauce (plus a little brown sugar to make sure it's all very sweet). 

Then we'll need a nice salad.

It might look like dessert, what with those shimmery red Jell-O layers.

And it might sound a lot like a crustless cherry cheesecake, what with all the cream cheese, dessert topping, and canned cherry pie filling, but it's a salad! You can tell because it's sitting on lettuce in the picture.

Okay, let's get serious and add a real vegetable. How about some asparagus for spring?

Asparagus, hard-cooked eggs, hollandaise, a hint of lemon. Asparagus Divan sounds so much like what I'd expect that I almost missed that "special" ingredient. Yep, this calls for frozen whipped dessert topping! We've all wanted to drown our asparagus in Cool Whip, right?

Okay-- I've had about as many sweets as I can handle, so let's find a bread recipe that isn't overly cloying to round out this menu.

If you thought I was trying to fake you out and the bread would be sweet too-- Ha! I was serious for a change. The little bit of sugar in here is to be expected in a yeast bread. Yeasties need something to eat! I just couldn't resist posting a bread recipe that calls for using a mixer to beat a full can of condensed cream of potato soup into bread starter. I just can't resist cans of cream-of-something soup in unlikely places.

Now, do all these multi-serving recipes have you pumped for gatherings again?

I am as thrilled as the woman in the upper left of this picture. 

"If I have to listen to one more minute of this fascinating monologue about how you used the last year to brush up on your French skills and learn to play the violin, so help me god, I will break into your pantry and tear the labels off your entire collection of canned goods!"

Here's hoping the rest of you are better at enduring small talk as it comes creeping back into our lives.

9 comments:

  1. Once we can go out again, we'll need our masks to hide the fact that we forgot how to interact with real people (not to mention that they are a great excuse not to eat things).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm hoping I can get away with wearing masks at least for shopping during cold and flu season from now on. I'm so glad to have had a year free of strangers telling me to smile.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the people who think it is their right to tell you how to feel are always the most irritating.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure I have gone feral, but nonetheless, I could use a hug.
    Also, whatever those people are eating looks pretty good. No cool whip, mayo, or gelatin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're having Chicken-Steak Almond (chicken, steak, and various veggies with a chicken broth/ soy sauce/ cornstarch sauce and slivered almonds) plus Cucumber-Radish Plate (cucumbers and radishes marinated in vinegar/ sugar/ candied ginger). Probably kind of bland by today's standards, but pretty high-end in their time compared to porcupine meatballs cooked in canned soup.

      Hugging is on the horizon! At least, open hugging and not the few futile brief masked outdoor half-hugs a friend has initiated over the past year and I've temporarily "forgotten" to discourage. Who knew innocent hugging could feel so sordid?

      Delete
  3. I sneaked hugs from my dad when the medical transport drivers weren't looking. I'm glad I did because those were the last. I got a masked hug from my friend after she came straight from being cleared from Covid. That's it for the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I look at blonde lady, the more I am glad she doesn't have a knife and fork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's trying to calculate just how much damage she can do with the chopsticks.

      Delete