Wednesday, December 22, 2021

A sticky-sweet Christmas

 For my last new-to-this-blog book post before Christmas, I decided to go with The New Way to Cook Is with Karo! (Best Foods, 1963) because I associate Karo syrup with cracking out the candy-making supplies in the pre-Christmas rush. (Incidentally, I have a nearly-full container of Karo syrup I bought maybe half-a-dozen years ago when I had the misplaced optimism to think that I had the time and ambition to make my childhood holiday favorite-- peanut butter balls!-- and discovered that I was wrong.)

So just for the holidays, here's a Karo-centric holiday menu that I'm not even going to begin to pretend I'd make.

Since ham is a popular main dish, we'll go with a sticky-sweet Pineapple Baked Ham.

Okay, I also partially picked it because this book has the best pictures. I simply could not resist a recipe accompanied by a pig driving around in a pineapple-wheeled car.

Look at the tiny driving hat! And the pineapple hood ornament! No reasonable human could resist such charms. (And yes, I plan to post an entire entry about the pictures in this booklet in the future. The pineapple-car-pig is barely enough to represent the military-grade whimsy in this booklet.) (And also yes, I chose the phrase "military-grade whimsy" because it made me laugh. I know it doesn't really make sense.)

Of course, we'll need a veggie side. Even if it's a holiday meal, we need vitamins. And more carbs from corn syrup. 

I am not at all thrilled by the thought of picking up a shiny whitish chunk of Swiss Potatoes Lucerne and trying to guess whether it will be potato, onion, or apple before popping it into my mouth, but your mileage may vary.

For dessert, how about something fruitcake-adjacent?

The great thing about the Frosted Fruit Cookies is that they need to be stored "in tightly covered container to mellow," so that means you can make them ahead of time instead of having to fuss around with dessert while also trying to cook the ham and potatoes. (It also means that if you make them far enough ahead of time to completely forget about them, no one will be saddened by their absence.)

And, to tie everything together, how about a nice Karo-centric centerpiece? Behold, the Peppermint Popcorn Tree!

Complete with gumdrops, plastic flowers, birthday candles, and a dove on top to shit over the whole majestic scene!

If the bounty of syrup at dinner is not enough to beat your taste buds into submission, then you have an extra dessert on hand, too! Just don't eat the plastic flotsam in the rush for that sweet, sweet syrup. There's no fun time to try to pass a plastic dove, but the post-holiday blues will make it even worse.

5 comments:

  1. Now I'm wondering what the difference between red label and blue label Karo syrup is. I'm also cringing not only of the idea of putting it over ham, but an entire cup of the stuff?! I also think that plastic dove already took your advice and pooped all over the centerpiece given how white it is. Maybe it's the soft resolution of the photo that makes it look really bird poopy. It reminds me of the white, sticky, stinky sidewalks in the spring where I attended undergrad (of course those were crows, not doves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red label is the light corn syrup, like we used in the peanut butter balls. The blue label is darker and has some molasses in it. (There was also a maple-flavored variety, but it wasn't in any recipes I picked.)

      Delete
  2. i want to know more about your childhood favorite treat - the peanut butter balls made with Karo syrup - what are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious and super-easy!
      2 sticks butter, softened
      2/3 c. peanut butter
      3-1/2 c. powdered sugar
      1/4 c. light corn syrup

      Combine all ingredients until smooth. Roll into 3/4-inch balls.

      Melt some coating chocolate according to package instructions. (I didn't write down how much we used, so do what looks right!) Spear a peanut butter ball on a toothpick and roll or dip in chocolate (depending on how much you melted). Put coated candy on wax paper or foil until chocolate hardens. Repeat until all cadies are coated. Makes about 40.

      Delete
  3. Yes! The trash is definitely the right place for the tree, but it would probably be fun to make.

    ReplyDelete