Saturday, June 17, 2023

This tuna is a top (but not a topping)!

I've already done my customary rainbow of Jell-O salads for Pride month, but then I came across this recipe in Pillsbury's Bake Off Main Dish Cookbook (1968), and I thought it wouldn't hurt to have one extra recipe for Pride. Are you ready for Gay Tuna Sandwiches?

I was initially at a loss as to how a canned tuna mixture encased in biscuit dough might be gay, but then I realized that it's obvious: The tuna loves filling Hungry Jack! (And if you're thinking that "tuna" should be applied to a woman, then you've been reading waaay too many ladies' magazines from the 1960s and '70s where a full third of the advertisements are trying to convince readers that nether regions are nasty and should smell like a bed of roses at all times.)

You're welcome for that mental imagery, and happy Pride (again).

2 comments:

  1. I love the generic open can instruction given the fact that more than one canned ingredient is involved. Although don't most people refer to biscuits being in a tube these days? Enjoy your canned biscuits with your canned tuna and maybe watch some TV with canned laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--I always think of refrigerated biscuits as being in a tube.

      I'm sure glad canned laughter is falling out of favor!

      Delete