Saturday, June 10, 2023

Somewhere over the Jell-O

I hope you're ready for a rainbow of gelatin, once again! This year's pride list comes from Recipes on Parade: Salads Including Appetizers (Military Officers' Wives Clubs, 1966). I'm pretty sure officers' wives from the 1960s would not have been super excited to see their recipes used for the cause, but they certainly offered a colorful and jiggly collection of Jell-Os.

This year, red is represented by Shrimp Delight. If you think that shrimp is pink and suspect me of calling a light-and-airy seafood mousse that is pinkish at most "red" just for this post, think again.


Shrimp Delight starts out with strawberry gelatin and tomato sauce, not the plain gelatin whipped with mayonnaise that you may have been picturing. There's definitely shrimp, too... but delight? Probably not so much.

This year, our orange is "golden," as this is a Golden Salad Mold. It's a variation of the tried-and-true carrot and pineapple concoction.


This one is made more memorable with orange juice and sections plus Cheddar and Bleu cheeses.

This year's yellow is condiment-bright: Gelatin Mustard Ring-Coleslaw Center. That's right! You get not only an odd egg, sugar, and cream gelatin flavored heavily with mustard...


...but also a celery-and-pineapple studded slaw to "enjoy" with that jiggly yellow wonder.

The green often comes from cucumber-based salads, but this year we'll make Olive Green Salad by mixing the lime Jell-O with exactly what the title suggests.


Yep-- It's lime Jell-O and olives! Plus extra green from celery, green peppers, English peas, and perhaps the apple (if you pick a green variety).

The book is from way before Berry Blue Jell-O, so I have to get the blue from Blueberry Salad-- a recipe that might actually be good.


This version features black raspberry gelatin, blueberry pie filling, and a creamy white topping if you're feeling extra naughty.

I usually have to combine blue and purple, as gelatin salads at this end of the spectrum are usually few and far between. The military wives really loved their gelatin, though, so this time we have a purple as well! Well, purple-ish.

Made with a can of frozen grape juice concentrate, black cherries, and black cherry gelatin, this is probably a pretty dark mold. But, hey... That just means it's getting dark and the pride parade can transform to an after-dark celebration, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Happy Pride Month! I hope you get a chance to jiggle like Jell-O!

6 comments:

  1. TBH, this is basically my favorite kind of Pride celebration: personal, idiosyncratic, non-corporate. I look forward to it every year, and every year, it satisfies. Happy Pride, and thank you for a new mélange of ingredients to imagine when I need to make myself throw up. 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Gelatin will be so pleased to know that I could make this seem like a grassroots effort. (Seriously, though, thanks for that! I'm glad to know my weird little celebration makes somebody else happy.)

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised that the blueberry salad does sound pretty good. I like how they casually mention to "serve over salad", which we know translates into pile this glop on top of a lettuce leaf so we can pretend this is a salad. I guess the concept of disguising dessert as a meal has a long history. Yes, I had a salad for lunch. Translation, big pile of sugar on a leaf...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And remember, as long as the leaf is present, it counts! You don't actually have to eat it.

      Delete
  3. My kids would love rainbow jello. They're older but you gotta find some joy somewhere. Why not in jello?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the ribbon salad approach (like this one https://grannysinthekitchen.com/rainbow-jello-ribbon-salad/) would be much preferable to most of the shit I've posted.

      Delete