Saturday, June 20, 2020

The salads at the end of the rainbow

It's Pride Month! I had so much fun last year putting together a rainbow of Jell-O salads that I thought I'd try it again this year. I wanted to try to get them all from a single randomly-chosen community cookbook, so this year's rainbow is from Tri Kappas Kitchen Kapers (Alpha Rho Chapter of Kappa Kappa Kappa, 1976). I'll admit, I had to get a little creative for some of the colors, but that's part of the fun.

The easiest color to find (and usually the yummiest-sounding recipe) is red. This year, we've got double red in Jellied Raspberry and Cranberry Salad.


It's as advertised: raspberries and cranberry relish, plus ginger ale.

Orange is not usually too difficult to find, but apparently Kappa Kappa Kappas have an aversion to orange Jell-O.


That's why I looked at canned tomato soup mixed with cream cheese, mayo, and shrimp (plus the requisite gelatin) and said, "Eh. Close enough." (It's close enough to orange for my purposes and apparently close enough to edible for theirs.)

Aft the shrimp, why not keep the oceanic theme going for yellow?


We've got yellow from the lemon Jell-O and the hard-boiled egg yolks. I'm sure it all tastes great with tuna, olives, and celery.

Green was the biggest dilemma for me, as the Kappa Kappa Kappas really like lime Jell-O. This salad narrowly beat out the one with that paired pineapple, cottage cheese, and horseradish with its lime dessert.


Since there was no berry blue Jell-O in 1976, we'll have to go with the blue layer of the patriotic Red, White, and Blueberry Salad.


Okay, black raspberry Jell-O plus blueberries was surely closer to purple, but humor me because I like using beets as my purple layer.


Yes, this is  super-similar to last year's Beet/Horseradish Molded Salad, but this helps demonstrate that a significant number of people in the '70s must have thought lemon Jell-O really cried out for beets, horseradish, and celery.

I can't say that I would join those people, but I hope we can all join together and agree that the queer community deserves respect, dignity, and equality. (And nobody deserves to have a tomato soup, shrimp, and mayo gelatin salad thrust upon them without prior consent.)

2 comments:

  1. I just had to go and Google r"salad recipe". Now they feature chopped veggies from every color of the rainbow. Just one more reason to be glad it's not the 70's. I really have to wonder why the fascination with beets , horseradish, and lemon jello?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the horseradish was supposed to help temper the sweetness of the other ingredients? Of course, the fact that the combination could easily be too sweet was not a deterrent-- just a problem to "solve" with horseradish.

      Delete