Saturday, August 29, 2026

Another edition of "I do not think it means what you think it means"!

You might wonder why I'm posting this perfectly fine-sounding recipe for homemade pizza from the July 1975 issue of Women's Circle Home Cooking


I specialize in recipes that are usually head-scratchingly weird and/or only slightly more appetizing than whatever the cat left in your shoes the time you tried to give it a flea dip. (Yeah, the pair you had to throw away.) And here is a recipe for a simple yeasted dough, topped with a tomato sauce that contains actual flavoring ingredients! Alliums! Oregano! Red pepper! Parmesan cheese! So why did I pick this? The answer is like real estate: Location! Location! Location! You see, the recipe appeared directly under this heading:


Now, I realize ideas about what constitutes a fast-and-easy recipe changed as kitchens got things like microwaves, Insta-Pots, and air fryers, but I have a hard time believing that even in 1975 anyone thought a recipe that took two hours minimum-- and that's only if you're working REALLY fast and the yeast is cooperative-- counted as "Instant Cooking." But then again, the '70s were a crazy time when a guy could cast a fishing line in the same pool that a woman was about to dive into (at least if this graphic is to be believed), so maybe I don't understand the time well enough to judge. Maybe back then, 2+ hours was nothing...

2 comments:

  1. That is a baffling placement. Considering the debate on how leftover pizza should be served I doubt that this is a dish to make ahead and reheat on a busy night.
    It makes one wonder what substances the editors were enjoying, or if it was a prank to see if anyone would notice. Now I'm wondering if this was put together by women or men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "Women's Circle Home Cooking" just put up the headings and then threw in whatever recipes fit under them without considering whether the recipes fit the supposed theme. This is the same magazine series that ran the "Cooking for Two" section where every recipe served at least 6.

    ReplyDelete