Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I'm being flaky

This is a short Cookbook Wednesday entry because I'm sick. To help make myself feel better, I picked a health food book:


Nutritional yeast was (and remains) a specialty product for hippies and vegetarians. Carlson Wade's 1973 Yeast Flakes Cookbook makes the cover look like a box of nutritional yeast flakes with the "window" that's supposed to show off the box's contents look like the sun. That's right-- the cover subtly suggests that yeast is the source of all life and sustenance. I don't think Carlson worried about overstating his case. He just knew the earth-mother vibe would sell (and hopefully be enough to make the audience overlook the fact that the title makes this sound like a guide for cooking fungal dandruff).

So what could hippies do with these flakes of sunshine? How about this:


Mix 'em with eggs, onions, buckwheat groats, salt substitute, oil and cottage cheese before baking!

If that doesn't make you feel healthy, well... tell mom it did anyway so she won't try to foist a second helping onto you.

This is part of Cookbook Wednesday, hosted by Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Poppy!
    So sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I do hope you're feeling better by now. Marion and I took an impromptu get-away for couple of days:)

    I've never tried nutritional yeast. I do get curious about it when I see it in recipes. I should give it a try one day.

    I have to ask you Poppy. Is that a hard cover book or a soft cover book in the shape of box of yeast flakes. I just can't tell from the picture.

    Please take care of yourself Poppy. Drinks lots of tea and rest:)

    Thanks for joining us for Cookbook Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still recovering! It's a cold, but it also seems to sap my brainpower! Not sure how well I'm functioning... Nutritional yeast is actually a pretty tasty addition to savory dishes. I use it all the time, so I'm not making fun of the yeast itself-- just the cookbook (which is softcover, by the way). Thanks for your well wishes!

      Delete
    2. It's ridculously cold here too Poppy. What is it with this weather anyway???

      You give that brain a rest and warm it up. Spring is bound to come one of these days and you want all of your energy in order to enjoy every minute! Feel better soon, Louise

      Delete