Wednesday, September 27, 2017

It's a portal to ... some recipes anyway

I feel as if I should have some kind of interesting sound effects for you today since you're going through a portal.

It's the Portal to Good Cooking from the Women's American ORT (1959)! (ORT stands for Organization of Rehabilitation through Training, a Jewish organization that is apparently still around today.)

I wasn't sure how to pick recipes in this one, so I've made up a soup/bread/salad lunch for your enjoyment.

I'm actually going to be generous and give you choice of soups! You can go old world and have a bors[c]ht:


I thought borsht was a beet soup, but this clearly has no beets in it. Apparently the term can apply to sour soups of Eastern European origin. So if thawed spinach and mushy rhubarb floating in cold water is your thing, this soup's for you!

If you want something a little more substantial, how about quick pea soup?


Just puree leftover peas with hot dogs, onion, and water, then heat! Yum!

Of course, we need a good bread to go with the soup... but might cupcakes be more fun?


Okay-- Salmon Cupcake Puffs might not be exactly what anyone has in mind when they hear "cupcakes." And I guess they're not so much a bread as a wad of salmon, sour cream, and corn flakes bound with an egg. On the plus side, this is definitely the most surprising cupcake recipe you'll see today.

Then for salad (or maybe dessert? You know how those old "salad" recipes work.), we can have a nice mold:


The gelatin is unflavored, and the cream and cottage cheeses could go either way. The grapes and pecans say "dessert," but the chives whisper "salad." The garnish of avocado and pistachio doesn't really help with the salad v. dessert question, so I will leave you to decide for yourself.

It's probably the most fun you'll get out of this lunch unless you really love hot dog puree.

3 comments:

  1. Portals! That makes me think of the weird background music from The Land of the Lost.
    Rhubarb can go die by the way :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I've never been a fan of rhubarb-- all stringy and sour. I don't know why people ruin good strawberries with the stuff.

      Delete
  2. I think bringing salmon cupcakes just once could get you out of any bake sale for work, kids' school/activities, etc. The writers were just too polite to say that's what they were really for.

    ReplyDelete