Saturday, November 17, 2018

Always make sure the cranberries are dolphin-safe

Are you tired of the same old cranberry salad? Will your special heirloom turkey turn tail if it has to share the table with a cranberry sauce shaped exactly like the can it shplooped out of? Well, Three Rivers Cookbook (Child Health Association of Sewickley, PA, copyright 1973, but mine is the ninth printing from 1977) has a very special recipe for you.


Cranberry Tuna Mold! The perfect accompaniment to a good Thanksgiving dinner is tuna salad aspic topped with a citrus-cranberry gelatin, right? Plus, for avowed turkey haters, this can be dinner and dessert all in one! Leaves more room for the mashed potatoes (if the indigestion doesn't hit first).

6 comments:

  1. I think I'll stick with grandma's cranberry salad recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a sound plan! Plus, it's a Jell-O salad I can really appreciate.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking yesterday that Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish from NPR was the worst cranberry recipe I'd never eat, but I do believe that you have actually changed my mind with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proud to be of service in changing your mind!

      I hadn't heard of this recipe, but I'm glad you pointed it out. It does look terrible-- but probably marginally less terrible than this one.

      Delete
  3. Closely related and appropriate this time of year:
    Ever had mac and cheese with cranberry sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! I'm not generally a fruit-and-savory type, but fruit and cheese can be a good pairing, so I'll bet that's not too bad.

      Delete