Saturday, July 6, 2019

Funny Name: Crustacean Camp

I love this recipe name just because it makes me think of shrimpy parents sending off their even shrimpier little ones to summer camp.


I sooooo want Shrimp Canoes to be illustrated by a picture of a canoe full of shrimp paddling like crazy, but alas, The Meatless Cookbook (Irma Rhode, 1961) doesn't have illustrations.

Come to think of it, I'd also love to see some shrimp making friendship bracelets and roasting marshmallows. I challenge you to make your summer weekend more fun by drawing a few pictures of shrimp at summer camp!

5 comments:

  1. The only thing I remember about the one time I spent at summer camp is being chosen for the team that had to dig the latrines. I suppose I could draw some pictures of disgruntled shrimp with tiny shovels digging holes in the ground. I draw the line (or refuse to draw one, actually) at images of shrimp putting those rustic latrines to use, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you went to a really fun camp. Ugh! I went to a few summer camps, and they had actual buildings with working bathrooms, so we were not roughing it. (The weirdest activity I remember is trying to catch crayfish on hooks baited with pieces of hot dog.)

      Delete
  2. The funniest thing I remember from camp is the story of why the sailboats had sails that said "Marlboro" on them. Lesson: don't smoke to get promotional items from tobacco companies, rather pester the smokers you know and pick up trash to get enough UPC codes to get what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good way to get free stuff for camp! They would never get away with those sailboats now, though.

      Delete
    2. LOL, I thought of that, too. I'm amazed by how many people I know who are working 2 or 3 jobs just to give their kids stuff. Think of all the things those kids will never learn because they don't go to cut rate day camps.

      Delete