Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Hoosier favorite source for interior designer-approved recipes?

The title of this book might be meant to be ASID (American Society of Interior Designers, Indiana) Cookbook, but I prefer the other possible title going around the cover, Parsley, Persimmons and Peas (1977), so I'm going with that.

The title seems apt, too, as most of my favorite recipes call for lots of veggies. We'll start out with a soup course:


I'll admit that I don't know a lot about mixed drinks, so I could be wrong, but is the only thing that differentiates this Bloody Mary Soup from the drink of the same name is that it's being served in a cup rather than a highball glass? In any case, it starts the meal with some tomato.

The main course, while vegetarian, isn't filled with veggies. I just picked it because it's one of those recipes with minimalist directions that I love.


Pearl Bailey's Macaroni & Cheese counts on cooks to have a pretty good idea of what to do with the 2-1/2 pounds of Creamettes, half pound of butter quart and a half of milk, and "lots of sharp cheddar cheese." The only instruction is to bake for an hour at 400 degrees, stirring frequently. Cook the pasta first? How much cheese is "lots"? You better figure it out on your own. I will always love the recipe writers who assumed that readers would just automatically have a feel for these things.

The veggie-filled side is distinguished by being topped with three cups of fried Rice Krispies:


At least Vegetable Casserole is not classified as a Chinese dish, which I half expect for any midwestern recipe that includes water chestnuts and rice in any form....

Dessert even includes a vegetable too, and I'm not talking carrot cake.


This is the first time I've ever seen an artichoke cake! I usually get the logic of veggie desserts: sweet potatoes and carrots are sweet, so they make a certain amount of sense in a dessert. Beets can make a cake red without food dye. Zucchini is just everywhere in mid-summer and gardeners had to use it up somehow. But artichokes? In cake? Especially when it involves a lengthy, multi-step process to get enough pulp? I've got no idea what would lead David Jones to suggest an Artichoke Spice Cake, but I'm stoked to see a weird veggie-based dessert that I've never seen before.

Now, take some inspiration from this post and invent a celery ice cream or cabbage brownies! It might help to make yourself some Dirty Martini "Soup" first to help the creative process along....

2 comments:

  1. I never saw any of these items on potluck day when I worked selling furniture. I think I'm glad for that. Heaven knows my coworkers were bad enough sober, I cringe to think of the sexual harassment I would have dealt with if they had a couple cups of martini soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the effects aren't nearly as severe if it's soup rather than a mixed drink. Ha!

      Delete