Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Cooking with Pooh. (Yes, there's an "H" on the end!)

My sister knows I've always been a fan of Eeyore. (There's a shock, right? Who would ever guess that this grump would love another famous grump?) I imagine that's why she sent The Pooh Cook Book (Virginia H. Ellison, 5th printing, August 1976), even though there's no need to bother on my account.

As Eeyore would say, that cover "sure is a cheerful color. Guess I'll have to get used to it."

Of course I was excited to see recipes that referenced the original stories, like this recipe for Haycorn Squash (named after Piglet's love for "haycorns").

(Each recipe includes a relevant quote, too!)

...or the Mastershalum Leaf Sandwiches.

Luckily, thinly sliced cucumbers are an acceptable substitute for those who don't live in the country and have nasturtiums/ mastershalums that their moms will let them decimate. (I imagine most kids being pretty disappointed by nasturtium flavor, too, though I have no actual experience with nasturtiums, mastershalums, or even kids, for that matter.)

The recipes also invite kids to do things the old-fashioned way. I was surprised that one recipe invited children to make butter from scratch.

Then I was even more surprised to see that the kiddos could make not just butter from scratch, but a compound butter! Of course, you always need to find ways to incorporate hunny/ honey into a Winnie the Pooh cookbook.

And if it looks as if the book puts a little more trust in young cooks' interests and abilities than most children's cookbooks do (like the ones that, say, mostly give instructions for elaborately-constructed salads from canned fruit and cottage cheese). A few recipes, like this Pea-Bean Alphabet Soup, take hours.

Granted, several hours of the time are just soaking the beans and peas in water, but the book trusts the kids not to lose interest and forget about the project altogether by the time the beans are presoaked. Then the recipe trusts the kids not only with simmering, but simmering for two hours! And remembering to add the alphabet noodles in the last ten minutes! And to pull out the soup bones, remove any mean on them, and return it to the soup! Virginia H. Ellison really trusts kids' patience and ability to avoid burning themselves/ spilling a half gallon of soup all over the kitchen.

She even trusts them to make a two-crust pie!


And not only is the top crust expected to fit, but it should be decorated too, with Woozle and Wizzle tracks! I, a grown adult woman, cannot make even a presentable bottom crust, as evidenced by the Pieathalon. (Or a passable filling, for that matter, as evidenced by the same recipe, but I'm choosing to focus on the crust.) In short, Virginia H. Ellison has a lot of confidence in kids, which probably seems nice to some people and overly optimistic to us grumps. After all, as Eeyore says, "We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is to it." Thanks anyway to my sister, for amusing this grump.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe my kindergarten teacher secretly wrote this book. 5 year olds should totally be able to prepare a meal on their own, even if they can't read the recipe. She actually did have us make butter once, but she put the cream in a jar and had us shake it. Amazing that nobody dropped the jar since it was glass. I remember seeing the haycorn squash recipe, but the book was a little too dusty for me to flip through. I'm glad you liked it as much as an Eeyore can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kindergarten sounds like fun! Our teacher didn't let us do anything fun with food on our own, as far as I can remember. She made us orange-tinted witches out of white chocolate for Halloween and "magically" turned sugar into lime Kool-Aid for St. Patrick's day, but we didn't get to do anything.

      Delete
    2. I do get a lot of mileage out of the time she taught us to make mashed potatoes. A room full of 5 year olds with paring knives and potato peelers.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure I would have managed to stab someone else and/or myself.

      Delete
  2. As someone who's mother actually let them decimate the nasturtiums, their leaves have a slightly peppery taste that would probably work well with cucumber.
    The flowers are also edible, and are a beautiful addition to salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slightly peppery does sound good to me now, though I doubt my childhood self would have appreciated it much. Then again, it's a chance to eat mom's flowers, so that frisson of excitement could make all the difference! Good on your mom for letting you eat her flowers.

      Delete