Wednesday, July 26, 2023

La Farine du Régiment

I picked up Culinary High Notes (Toledo Opera Guild, 1978) in part because it was a rare find for me: a pretty substantial community fundraiser cookbook that was (as you can see) only $1! 

The busty young Viking singing her heart out to a salad on the cover didn't hurt, either. (I suspect she's more likely to use the spoon as an imaginary microphone than an actual kitchen utensil. Or maybe she'll sing into it and then toss the salad, which should be fine as long as she does it out of view of any germophobes.) 

What I didn't realize when I picked this book up was that the playful opera-themed illustrations by Mrs. Virgil Eckhart (Patricia) would be scattered throughout the book at the start of each new chapter.

As required by law at the time, there are a few comics highlighting the importance of culinary skills in a woman's life.

At least since the book is from the '70s, the women get to push back.

The comics with social commentary are less common than those featuring opera-related puns, though.

Okay, maybe I'm not so excited that Mrs. Eckhart had to put in a fat joke, but it's still interesting to note that even supposedly high-minded opera types stoop pretty low.

I know some of the cartoons go over my head because I'm not a regular opera-goer.

I imagine there's something more going on in this one than the "Tosca/ toss a" pun, but the pun by itself is enough for me.

And then there's the good old "more/ Moor" confusion.

There are also some comics about humorous misunderstandings that kind of reimagine operas as sit-com-adjacent.

I could see George from Seinfeld saying this line.

Other humorous misunderstandings would fit a bit better for Monty Python.

Maybe this is the quest that Sir Not-appearing-in-this-film was on when Monty Python and the Holy Grail was being filmed?

If you come here just for the recipes, you might be feeling a bit ripped off right now, having to scroll through half-a-dozen kinda snooty comics with nary a recipe in sight. If so, too bad! I love weird little comics almost as much as I love old cookbooks, and I felt like highlighting these. I'm mostly here to amuse myself. But don't worry-- I'll post some recipes before too long! Aïda know what else to tell you!

5 comments:

  1. That does look like a fun book. I don't know anything about opera other than Simon Estes, so I don't get the jokes either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C likes opera, so I went to a few when we were younger, but I have retained nothing.

      Delete
  2. My household loves opera (and especially Wagner), so this seriously made my day. Siegfried is dumb enough (affectionate) that he'd bring his sword for a barbecue, tbh. It's nice to see that the Toledo Opera Guild knew how to have fun.

    (Also Tristan in that first comic has a face like an Archie character.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Additionally: The roommate wanted you to know that the "Yo-Ho-To-Ho" bit on the Valkyrie Lib sign is a direct quote from the text of the Ring cycle, since you mentioned that you didn't think you were getting all the jokes. "You yo-yo" is just an insult appended to the end of the Valkyries' song. 😂

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thank you for your glosses on the comics! I definitely did not pick up on those. I can definitely see what you mean about Tristan looking like an Archie character.

      Delete