Saturday, September 12, 2026

I wish I could see how the guests reacted to these anniversary cakes....

I was really not sure what to make of it when I came across this picture in the February 1976 Mail Box News (from Maid of Scandinavia Co.).


I mean, I realized the "Happy Anniversary" meant they were probably anniversary cakes, but what the heck are this "Good Together" couple supposed to be? Waning moon and watermelon that's been through some stuff? An undersized wastebasket that's supposed to snug right up against the wall and a MASSIVE multivitamin? Makeup sponge and slightly different shape of makeup sponge? (I'm not that familiar with makeup sponges, in case that isn't clear.)

Unsurprisingly, it's none of the above.


This "really unique anniversary cake" is apparently supposed to be cheese and ham. I think it would have been a lot easier to tell if we had a color photo here. I really want to see layered buttercream meant to mimic "fat and gelatin on the 'meat'" in glorious color! And I wonder if the guests could figure out what this was supposed to be, or if the color wasn't enough of a hint and friends of the happy couple had so smile and say "Wow! What a unique anniversary cake!" and nod in a vaguely approving way.

The booklets don't usually have a lot of recipes, but I did find a pair of recipes for a somewhat unusual pairing: black pepper and cookies. Choose between black pepper chocolate cookies with a pepper flavor that's "hard to detect"...


...or Norwegian pepper cookies with "just a touch of pepper to flavor."


I think I'd go with the former because 1. Chocolate! and 2. The other recipe "makes about 225 3" cookies." I can't imagine ever needing that many cookies.... But people have all kinds of weird needs, I suppose. Like needing cheese and ham anniversary cakes.

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit that I never thought about making a ham themed cake. I don't know if a color picture of that would be even more confusing than the black and white one. I was trying to figure out the anniversary egg. Now I'm wondering if this theme was chosen to make a statement about the years spent living with someone who "cut the cheese" on an annoyingly regular basis. I'm also wondering if you can ever scrub a ham tin enough so it won't smell or taste like ham, especially if you use it as a baking tin. Do those tins have a liner in them, and is it oven safe?

    ReplyDelete