Saturday, October 3, 2026

The garden slows down in October

The October chapter in Home Gardener's Cookbook (Marjorie Page Blanchard, 1974) is pretty short, admitting "Now with some feeling of relief we put away the gardening tools, but deep down we know that in a few moths we'll welcome getting them out again." In short, once "The pumpkins are picked and piled up to look festive for Hallowe'en," (gotta love the old-timey apostrophe), Blanchard is pretty much ready to be done with the growing season.

The chapter recommends turning one of the few newly in-season veggies-- chard-- into Chard Rolls in Tomato Sauce.

I had assumed the chard leaves would be used as a wrap for the other ingredients, but the chard is ground up with other veggies and mixed with bread crumbs, seasonings, Parm, and eggs to be molded into "sausage-like links." I also assumed that the tomato sauce would be made out of whatever final tomatoes were still hanging on, but this is just made with pre-made tomato sauce, so I was a terrible guesser on this recipe!

Winter squashes, like butternut, are also in season. Blanchard suggests a preparation with warm fall spices.

It's a lot like recipes for sweet potato casseroles. (Just no marshmallows!)

A couple of recipes in this chapter hint at the "Hallowe'en" mentioned earlier. Since this book was written when it was still somewhat acceptable for people to give homemade treats to trick-or-treaters, I suspect the recipe for popcorn balls was written with the holiday in mind.

And for the pumpkins that get turned into jack-o-lanterns, home cooks could still turn the seeds into a treat.

I'd probably recommend seasoning them with a bit more than plain old salt, but it's good to see that everything was getting put to use. October is the month for scares, but being wasteful doesn't have to be one of those frights! Home gardeners are practical.

2 comments:

  1. I was recently listening to a podcast about Halloween and one of the hosts made a comment wondering if candy companies were the ones who started the rumor about razor blades in homemade Halloween treats. The rumor certainly helped their business. Now everyone is complaining that candy (at least the good stuff) is way too expensive this year. I guess that I'm glad that I don't have to figure out something to hand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely doesn't seem like it would be beyond the realm of possibility that candy companies would want that idea out in the world. From what I've read, almost all the cases of foreign objects being "found" in Halloween candy were caused by kids who wanted attention, planted the item, and "luckily" discovered it before they were injured. But I'm sure they got the idea that candy cold have razors or needles or whatever in it from somewhere.

      Delete