Saturday, March 14, 2020

Mangia! Mangia! It's St. Patrick's Day!

Tired of the same old corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day? Well, the Scioto Memorial Hospital Auxiliary Cook Book (1972) offers an Irish recipe that is just as authentic as that mainstay.


Granted, I have no idea what makes this Irish Italian Spaghetti. I'm guessing it's the can of cream of mushroom soup in the sauce since that's the most non-standard ingredient (aside from the chili powder), though its connection to Ireland eludes me (but it seems a more likely candidate than the chili powder). Or maybe the spaghetti noodles were supposed to be elaborately shaped into four-leaf clovers before serving, and the recipe writer accidentally left that step out?

If you can explain what makes this "Irish Italian," be sure to elaborate in the comments. (A bellyful of green beer or Baileys may or may not be helpful in discerning the connection.)

3 comments:

  1. Canned soup and pasta, a perfect recipe for people hoarding food - providing that they are smart enough to stock up on non perishable items instead of the usual bread, milk, and other things that will spoil quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that as I posted this. I wrote this post months ago, but the recipe does seem appropriate for life in the bunkers.... I can always use my cookbooks and stockpile to last for a while if I need to.

      Delete
    2. Who knew we'd all be glad we have that crumbling copy of Fifty Things You Never Knew You Can Do With Canned Broccoli?

      Delete