Wednesday, November 4, 2015

No succor from Sucaryl

Sugar-saturated from Halloween candy? Good news from 1958! "Calorie-Saving Recipes with Sucaryl" is coming to the rescue.


Sucaryl was the "non-caloric sweetener for reducing and diabetic diets." What could '50s dieters have with a little help from Sucaryl?


My first thought when I saw the picture was a very spongy-looking cheese souffle, but I was only right about the sponge part:


Since there's no sugar to help with browning, I suppose it's a bit much to ask for this to have a golden-brown layer.

The cake would have been a bit of a pain to make, too, what with needing to crush 72 Sucaryl tablets! And this doesn't even explain that the crushed tablets have to be dissolved in 3 tablespoons of hot water before using... It seems like a lot of work for a recipe that looks so dry and flavorless.

I can understand the craving for a cake, though. I'm sure dieters felt a need for a real(ish) dessert at least sometimes.

Other recipes made me wonder why anyone would bother, though:


I would think "I can't eat all that sugar on my diet" would be the perfect excuse to get out of choking down a bowl full of prune whip! Why make a special recipe so dieters and diabetics too can indulge in the delights of prune pulp suspended in whipped egg whites and gelatin?

I make fun of gelatin a lot, but I have to admit I understand the appeal of the sweet gelatin "salads" loaded up with cottage cheese and fresh fruit. So why would Sucaryl think this is the salad dieters would crave?


Cucumbers, radishes, and scallions suspended in gelatin with green food coloring? Sure, it is only 17 calories a serving, but the veggies by themselves would have even fewer....

Thanks, Sucaryl! Now diabetics can eat stuff they never even wanted in the first place! Hoo-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment