Saturday, October 13, 2018

Not the Dutch apple pie you're imagining

Checking out Top Value Favorites (Top Value & TV Travel Employees for United Way Campaign, 1982), I saw the name Apple Pot Pie and wondered what made it pot pie. Apple pie isn't exactly an unusual dessert, so what would make it pot pie? Chunks of chicken and some peas and carrots?


Then I realized that this is a Pennsylvania Dutch style boiled pot pie that I complained about as a bait-and-switch earlier. If you ever want a whole menu of soggy boiled dishes that will disappoint diners waiting for crisp, golden-brown crusts, this recipe will complete the suite I started with the earlier post. Yay?

6 comments:

  1. Just one more reason to hate pie crust. Crispy, brown blandness, or soggy, boiled blandness. I'll save you the work, and just eat an apple thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know I don't like cooked apples, but a lot of people prefer them that way.

      Delete
    2. I was honestly trying to remember if you even liked raw apples (other than cortlands).

      Delete
    3. I like them as long as they're not red "delicious."

      Delete
  2. I've done a pot pie like that. If you make the dough right, it is really good in the wintertime. It turns surprisingly light and fluffy as it cooks. But if you use tasteless shortening or other cheap ingredients, it tastes bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would be warming in the winter, and it sounds as if the texture is better than I imagine.

      Delete