Wednesday, May 1, 2019

May: The Month of Limited-Item, Nonthinking Dinners

It's May! And if your tastes in the home arts are not nearly as complicated as May's (though she is more interested in sewing than cooking...), then May's entries in Peg Bracken's The I Hate to Cook Almanack (1976) might be more your speed.

Knowing that housepersons would generally rather be spending their time dealing with the crabgrass outside than doing the same old housework indoors, Bracken supplies some mostly hands-off main dishes for the month. The first is billed as a "nonthinking dinner":


Of course, I love a recipe that specifies for the veggies to be "cut up any way." Needing access to a palm or oak tree to crush the rosemary suggests that those in the deep south outside of Florida might be the best equipped to cook this, though. 😉

If you want something a little more complex than eggplant and tomato with a little rosemary, there's a four-ingredient casserole too.


I'll admit that I had no familiarity with frozen corn soufflé, but it looks like it's still a thing and just a pre-prepared version of corn pudding. Chili beans, corn chips, and corn pudding heated under a melty cheese layer doesn't sound too bad to me, to be honest. With the suggested additions of chili powder or cumin and oregano, Bracken went all out on this one. Happy May! Try this one for Cinco de Mayo if you're brave.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh darn it, I gave away my electric skillet years ago - no nonthinking eggplant dinner for me! I would love to meet an authoritative chili bean, but it would have to be unaccompanied by meat (due to my allergies). If I can find a corn soufflé I may just do as you suggest and try this casserole for Cinco de Mayo, despite the fact that, while it may be authoritative, it is most certainly not authentically Mexican (but then neither is a U.S. Cinco de Mayo celebration, so I guess it balances out). Viva la vida no pensante (no idea if this is grammatically correct in Spanish)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an electric skillet because I love it for baking English muffins or making pancakes. It's easier for me to get the right temperature on an electric skillet and it has a good surface area. I don't usually use it for '70s-style meals, though.

      I took French in high school, so I am in no position to judge your Spanish! I like Bush's chili beans-- they have plenty of meat-free varieties, but I always add chili powder, tomatoes, Tabasco sauce, etc., so I am not sure how authoritative they are on their own. Stouffer's product finder says I'm out of luck for corn souffle in my area, but they must still sell it somewhere if it's on the website. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Apparently I can make the casserole with frozen corn souffle. According to the product finder that is a popular product in this area. That said, I don't think I'm going to be trying the casserole... I got rid of my electric skillet years ago because it did not heat very evenly (and I have some friends who love using it while camping). While I know that recipe did not say to cook it in an electric skillet, I'm still using that as my excuse :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit, I didn't really see you jumping on that recipe. Of course the land of corn has the corn souffle!

      Delete