Saturday, September 14, 2019

Funny Name: Surprise the Neighbors Edition

Life must have been very different in mid-century St. Petersburg than it is in my city now. At least, the title of this recipe from Adventures in Food (St. Petersburg Junior College American Dental Hygiene Association, ca. mid-'60s to early '70s) leads me to believe that.


If I knocked on neighbors' doors unannounced, I'm not sure they would answer unless I happened to be carrying a package that Amazon had mistakenly deposited on my doorstep. If they did open the door and I yelled "Cake!" I'm pretty sure they would smile weakly and close the door as quickly as humanly possible without actually slamming it. But then, I guess I'd be left alone with all that cream cheese icing, so I guess it's not too terrible that the neighbors all know I'm a weirdo.

2 comments:

  1. In some places the neighbor may actually grab the cake out of your hands before closing the door. I was kind of surprised that it wasn't a DIY pudding in the mix cake. Then again, I really don't know if that gimmick put on boxes of cake mix really means anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it. Pudding mixes are mostly sugar with some thickeners, and cake mix is mostly sugar and flour, so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference that some of the sugar is coming from a pudding mix in addition to the cake mix.

      Delete