Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Threats of Zwiebelkuchen from the Dorf


The flirty spoon-girl on the cover of the German Village Cook Book (The German Village Society, June 1968) is here to try to sell readers on the idea that German food is delicious and fun. Americans lately seem to be disagreeing with this notion, and despite/ because of? my (distant) German background I would tend to agree.

That's partly because I think my sour receptors seem to have waaay different settings from most people's (Most vinegar-based condiments taste barfy to me, for example.), and German food tends to go heavy on the sour. Even the smell of sauerkraut makes me suppress a gag reflex, and the book informed me that cabbage isn't the only vegetable Germans will krautify.


There's turnip kraut, too! Apparently this version is supposed to used as a topping for salty crackers rather than as a the primary ingredient in a hot tub for sausages, as is traditional for the cabbage-based version.

Of course, too much flavor can be just as much of a problem as not enough. I found a recipe very similar to something my mom used to make-- one of the recipes that led me to take over the family cooking during my teenage years as an act of self-defense.


I know she didn't make it exactly this way. I doubt anything was measured-- she just used what we had on hand and boiled the ham, green beans, and potatoes in plain water (I don't think she even bothered with the pepper or staggered cooking times) until everything was uniformly bland, mushy, and gray. Let's hear it for mom's good old home cooking!

The recipes aren't all horror, though. I was impressed to find eggs prepared in a way I hadn't seen before.


Okay, I've definitely seen baked eggs before, but usually they're just eggs broken into a ramekin or muffin cup, topped with some seasonings and maybe a little cheese, and then baked. I'd never seen hard boiled eggs chopped up to be baked under a layer of eggs beaten with seasoning then topped with breadcrumbs and cheese. Eggs baked under other eggs is just odd enough to make me kind of love it.

And then, I hit the cake section and immediately reverted to horror when I saw a new kind of vegetable-based cake. To be clear, I'm not necessarily anti-veggie in dessert. Carrot cake is lovely. Asparagus cake and artichoke cake sound weird, but I might try them if somebody else went to the trouble of making them. Canned tomato products were such a common dessert ingredient that somebody must like that combination.

You might be expecting sauerkraut cake here, as that's pretty common too (and krauty!), but nope. Are you ready for Zwiebelkuchen?


Well, threatening to start someone's day with an onion-topped coffeecake is one way to get the house cleared in record time. Those Germans are hard-liners!

This book reaffirmed my sense that I'm not missing out by being largely ignorant of my family's long-ago German roots, but it does kind of make me wish my spoons would give me a saucy wink now and then.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of those delights on the old communal kitchen menus, but I am still amused that the local German restaurants serving traditional fare include canned corn or canned green beans as a side (but they advertise that they use real potatoes). You can't get too fancy with the vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if getting fancy with the vegetables means onion coffee cake, they're probably better off with plain.

      Delete
  2. Remember fried apples and onions from the _Little House on the Prairie_ books? I've had delicious onion rolls that included cinnamon. So I think the sweetness of sauteed onions might be tasty here.

    Though not six(!) of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only foods I remember from the _Little House_ books are buttermilk and maple syrup, but fried apples and onions definitely sound like frontier food. Some people do love the sweeter side of onions, so I can imagine this working for someone... who is not me!

      Delete
    2. Wait, you don't remember grinding their wheat in a coffee grinder and almost starving to death when they were snowed in for a whole winter?

      Delete
    3. Sorry-- just maple syrup and buttermilk! I don't think I ever made it through the whole series, though...

      Delete
  3. My mother very very often served that soup in summer. It was ok, but rather meh. A splash of cream improves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it would! I hope your mother at least believed in adding some seasoning of some sort...

      Delete