Wednesday, May 3, 2023

May the Fourth be with you!

In honor of the upcoming Star Wars Day, this recipe comes from Old 'n' New Tried 'n' True (Boone Junior Woman's Club, Boone, North Carolina, 1978).

I have no idea what a rice, canned fish, cheese, and maybe olives casserole has to do with Star Wars, but I'll also admit that I'm not really an expert. I'm mostly interested in science fiction if it's got a strong horror slant (like The Thing or Slither), so someone can let me know if I'm missing something. Otherwise, I'm going to assume that the name is just a blatant attempt to get kids to eat canned fish without complaining. (And also an excuse for me to imagine a casserole with Ralph Wiggum's voice.)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there was a Star Wars day. The instructions are also rather confusing. Use a package of pre cooked rice in boiling water, mixed just moistened, all rice. Then there's the part about sauces. Plural. I just see a white sauce being made. What other sauce is involved? So many questions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they mean Minute Rice by "precooked." (I'd probably just add a little extra liquid to the casserole and let the Minute Rice cook as it bakes, though, rather than adding an extra step and an extra pan.) You're right about the "sauces," though-- there's clearly only one, so the plural must be a typo.

      Delete