Saturday, May 13, 2023

Funny Name: Mad Mushrooms

Is it weird that I imagine mushrooms taking offense to the title of this recipe from The Casserole Cookbook (Jackie Johnson and the Culinary Arts Institute Staff, 1980)?


"Mushroom Business? Mushroom Business? As if we're all in the same line of work? Well, sure, some of us are in the business of making pizzas and stir fries delicious. But some are in the business of recycling nutrients from plant and animal debris back into the ecosystem. Some are in the business of parasitizing healthy hosts or euthanizing sick ones. And some are in the business of making people trip balls. So don't just act like all mushrooms are in the same mushroom business, okay? Speciesist much?"

I had no idea mushrooms were so proud of their many earthy heritages. All I know is I'm going to try to stay out of their business. I can live without the lecture.

2 comments:

  1. Cover mushrooms with canned cream of mushroom soup. Seems a bit redundant, but I guess that's the mushrooms' business.

    ReplyDelete