Saturday, October 28, 2023

Suspending the witch's nuts

Of course the World War II era was grim, but Victory Recipes (Columbia Broadcasting System, WCCO, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1943) reminded me that people wanted a little fun even then. Even before Halloween recipes were very common, the booklet ran Witch's Cauldron Salad.


I love the idea of mounding shredded carrots, radishes, and pimientos to make a "fire" and suspending a witch's cauldron above it with a cheese straw tripod. I will openly admit that I do not have the proper frame of reference to understand the physics of the nut cup cauldron (pretty sure it would all collapse if I attempted such a thing!), but that doesn't stop me from loving Caroline Williams's imagination. Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I could see using a string to tie the top of the cheese straws together. Then you can let it dangle down and tie that to a piece of string or wire used to make a bucket handle on the nut cup. While I may not like cooking as much as you do, I am the crafty one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. You're also less clumsy. I'm pretty sure I would destroy something like this in the process of making it.

      Delete