Saturday, May 7, 2016

Well, Everybody's Cooking in a UFO

Today's theme is out of this world.


I'm starting with the most palatable version: Galaxy Cookies from the 1969 Betty Crocker's Cookbook (although mine is the 1977 printing). I used to stare at this picture in my mom's cookbook when I was a kid because I thought these looked so awesome.


And the idea of stuffing nuts and chocolate chips into the middles of buttery cookies sounded absolutely amazing to me! For some reason, we never made them, though. 

Surprises from space aren't always so sweet, though. If you meet up with an unfriendly alien, you could get into a fight that ends up with you serving the alien's brain at a feast...


...garnished with cucumbers, peppers, and olives, and surrounded by orange fruit cups to raise the humiliation factor by 763%. (The General Foods Kitchens Cookbook, 1959)

Or, if the species just wants to reproduce, maybe you will run into some alien seed pods.


Just hope they stay external and nothing will come ripping out of your chest. (300 Ways to Prepare Eggs, ed. Ruth Berolzheimer, 1950)

So why the space theme? A new retro-looking (very offensive and NSFW Rob Zombie) video gave me an excuse to pull out some of the alien-looking pictures I had been holding onto but I didn't quite know what to do with. Plus I have been grading final projects and I just started a third job, so I feel like my brain has shipped off to outer space. I hope it comes home soon. Unless it is full of alien seed pods... Actually, that might explain a few things.

Happy Saturday! If you do see a UFO, have fun with it.

2 comments: