Saturday, October 19, 2019

Funny Name: Candy What?! Edition

With Halloween coming in a couple weeks, you might want some candy that's a little trick and a little treat. So maybe you, like me, will be both incredibly disappointed and relieved to see that this recipe from Candy Cookbook (Favorite Recipes Press, 1966) is not exactly what the title may seem to suggest:


Bologna Candy is not, apparently, the meaty version of peanut brittle, with big chunks of lunch meat in a crunchy candy coating. I guess it's supposed to look like bologna when it's sliced, but all the bologna I've ever seen is just a smooth, featureless pink, so I'd think Salami Candy would be a more appropriate name for the variegated appearance. I guess that just proves I'm used to crappy American cold cuts. Spooky!

3 comments:

  1. I was quite terrified to see the name of this one as well. If bologna candy ended up in my pumpkin as a kid, it would have gone in the trash with the little boxes of good n plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that there was another disgusting candy, but I couldn't remember what it was.

      Delete