Wednesday, September 8, 2021

A guest freezes... I mean teases... the Pieathalon

I was not expecting an icy blast to tear through my cookbook room in the waning weeks of a hot summer. A couple of stacks of books blew over, pages flapping wildly in the wind. How did this even happen?

Then I saw a hulking figure in the doorway, covered in fur and holding a carbine: my special guest for the eighth annual Pieathalon. I'm camera-shy and need somebody to taste the vintage pie I was assigned to bake.

"I'm glad you could come," I said. 

"Well it looks like more snow's coming, so let's keep this short."

"Fine," I said. "I know some people who might have some information about an outlaw you're looking for. Plus, I'll give you all the free pie you can eat. Just pick a recipe today to represent yourself so my readers can guess at your identity. Tomorrow, meet me at...." And I'll trail off there so as not to bore you with the details/ give away the location of my contacts.

He scanned my books in disbelief, finally muttering, "Looking for a cookbook and knowing it's the right one isn't so easy."

I grabbed my Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery (Wm. Wise & Co., Inc., 1971) and said, "Just about anything you could want is in here."

He handed me the book open to this page and left, taking the cold with him. 


Now all that's left is to remind you, dear readers, to show up tomorrow (9/9) so you can find out what kind of pie I made and what my guest thought of it.



4 comments:

  1. Yay pie! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone made, and seeing what the worst pie is this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious about the one I sent in. The ingredients sound terrible, but it might end up okay.

      Delete
  2. I'm baffled at who was at your door... Mr. Freeze was too obvious (plus, he doesn't wear a fur coat. It could have been this guy ( https://www.freeimages.com/premium/fur-coat-fighter-27871 ), but that's even scarier somehow. Maybe Dog the Bounty Hunter? Wyatt Earp? Pat Garrett? Guess I won't have to wait long to find out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will only say that this time I actually tied the guest to the pie flavor. (And you know the flavor since I got your recipe.)

      Delete