Saturday, January 7, 2023

Funny Name: The Department of Redundancy Department Strikes Back Again!

I imagine the contributors to Celebration Cook Book (American Association of University Women, West Chester, PA, 1976) were all pretty well educated, seeing as the collection came from university women after all. I'm not so sure any of them took Spanish, though.

They don't seem to realize that Meaty Chili Con Carne means "meaty chili with meat." And just so I don't come off as too superior, I never took Spanish either! I kind of thought everybody knew what "con carne" meant. I guess midwesterners used to get away with knowing less Spanish in the '70s.

3 comments:

  1. It's also not terribly meaty. 1 lb hamburger, and maybe some bacon grease. That's it? Apparently the concept of something being meaty was a lot different back in the 70s, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It serves 4, so a quarter pound of meat per person-- especially mixed into a dish rather than eaten on its own-- is meaty. This was before supersizing was much of a thing.

      Delete
  2. Yes-- there were definitely some spice-phobic communities! I have some chili recipes that don't even call for chili powder at all. I agree that this should have at least triple the amount it calls for.

    ReplyDelete