Saturday, January 21, 2023

Funny Name: Grim Donuts Edition

I've already established that the Marion Christian Church 140th Anniversary Cookbook (1983) has some confusing conventions on naming recipes. The name for this recipe, however, is actually very straightforward.


I just think "Army Donuts of 1918" is hilarious because I see donuts as being a fun, frivolous addition to one's diet, and "Army Donuts" doesn't really convey that idea at all. I alternate between imagining these as being some kind of leaden utility donut, perhaps used as an improvised weapon in hand-to-hand combat, to be eaten only if the situation is really dire, and imagining these as part of an organized pastry unit, going out to battle against the dreaded fastnachts and smalzkuchen. 



2 comments:

  1. I have a vague memory of women making donuts in relation to WWII and WWII. I had to do a quick Google search to find the exact info. I thought that this recipe sounded small for feeding a large group of people, then I saw the article had a recipe with very similar volumes of ingredients. I guess they needed batches that were easy to mix.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/donut-girls-wwi-helped-fill-soldiers-bellies-and-get-women-vote-180962864/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably didn't have access to restaurant-scale equipment.

      Delete