Monday, August 19, 2019

An unusual guest teases the sixth annual Pieathalon!

This morning, a special guest bounded into my office. "Wow! This is quite the collection of old cook books! And people think I'm obsessed with food...."

"Well, people who haven't been paying attention since the '90s think that. I just chose you because I thought you'd be a fun celebrity guest taster for my entry into the sixth annual Pieathalon."

"A chance to be a Pieathlete? That sounds great. So what are we doing today?"

"Well, you're picking out a recipe to represent yourself-- to tease your identity so people will come back on Tuesday to find out who you are and what (usually awful!) pie I made you try."

"Trying to pick just one recipe to represent me is a bit like trying to take a drink from a firehose, but I'll do my best."

He thought for a minute. "I know I'm not going to find a recipe for Ding Dongs or Captain Crunch anywhere." After a moment of searching, his eyes lit up when he saw Ice Cream (Mable and Gar Hoffman, 1981). After a quick scan of the index, he handed me the book opened to this recipe:


and this luscious picture:


Well, it looks luscious to me. My guest does not, in fact, love rocky road, but he'll be back on Tuesday to taste test a 1980s pie recipe. I walked him out and waved goodbye as he rode away on his Segway. See you tomorrow!


4 comments:

  1. I'm woefully behind on pop culture, but please let this be Wierd Al. I love rocky road, eat it, just eat it, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first guess was Sylvester Stallone, but then thought that the surprise must be a serial or cereal killer... Looking forward to meeting your guest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to be nice this year. I started out with a horror icon, but things seem so grim lately that I decided to go a lighter route. I'm hoping I can use my original choice next year!

      Delete