Wednesday, February 9, 2022

A Natural Lunch Just for You!

I know life is tough, so I thought I'd make you lunch today! And of course we all have to do our best to stay healthy, so it's from The Natural Foods Cookbook (Beatrice Trum Hunter, copyright 1961, but mine is from a 1975 printing). 


I thought soup and salad would be ideal for a blustery winter day, so here's some Cereal Soup. (And no, it's not Lucky Charms that have been left in the milk for way too long. This is a health food book!)


It's just hot stock with tiny amounts of various whole grains cooked in it. Plus, this might be the only time you can brag about having mushrooms and onions in your cereal! Won't your friends be jealous when you tell them that?

If you like crackers with your soup, you're in luck! I made some Wholewheat Wafers.


They're uncooked, and it hasn't been very sunny lately, so the drying process did not go as smoothly as I would have liked.... The point is, the crackers might be a bit loose. And oily. 

Maybe we should just move on to the salad. I made a lovely Winter Molded Salad.


Don't you just love the way the alfalfa sprouts, celery tops, cabbage, green pepper, and apple float in the grape-juice gelatin? It's almost like somebody tried to switch Grimace into a health food mascot once McDonald's forgot about him.

You don't look too happy about any of this. Fine. Just have a cookie.


Well yes, the cookies are just ground roasted soybeans bound up with eggs and flavored with sugar and a bit of anise. What's wrong with that? Why aren't they "real cookies"? Ouch! And where did you learn to throw cookies so accurately, anyway? That's gonna leave a mark.

See if I make lunch for you again.

5 comments:

  1. I am terribly sorry for commenting your post, but that first picture looks like the opening of Star Wars. Thank you for letting me know what that silly hot Han Solo ate in that one bar.I always wondered what Star Wars people ate. Also, your posts always make me laugh. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't make the Star Wars connection, but I can see it. Not sure how this lunch compares to blue milk.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that I skip lunch (at least on work days). I'm also entertained that the second recipe tells where the stock for the first recipe came from. Soak your cereal grains in water previously used to soak other grains. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of saving water to reuse for other recipes in this book!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes-- there are plenty of veggie/ gelatin salads in this book, so they were everywhere-- even natural foods books! And you're not far off on your estimation of how appealing the "shakes" in this book are either (though the carob shake recipe doesn't specify that the milk should be from a goat). I'm probably going to post some examples at some point....

    ReplyDelete