Saturday, February 19, 2022

Funny Name: Not as Florida as I Thought Edition

The word "Florida" comes with a certain set of expectations, you know? So when I saw Shriners Parade of Recipes: Main Dish Edition Including Meats and Casseroles (1966), I kind of expected Florida Swiss Steak to be, oh, I don't know, an alligator that died of cirrhosis and was subsequently cut into steaks, flattened by having people in golf carts repeatedly run over the steaks, and then braised on the engine of a jet ski.


The Shriners' version is just regular Swiss steak cooked in grapefruit juice. Much less interesting (but probably just as disgusting if you ask me).



3 comments:

  1. Oh darn, I can only find Texas grapefruit juice, I guess I can't make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there is some yodeling involved too, but the recipe writer assumed that readers already knew and didn't need to be told.

    ReplyDelete