Saturday, August 20, 2022

Quit being so judgy about sloppy women

I know the name is just a play on Sloppy Joes, but I can't help but feel the Lower Deer Creek Mennonite Cookbook (Kalona, Iowa, 1977) is being just a little bit judgy about women who don't like to spend their days on cleanliness so they can be closer to godliness.

If this oatmeal, shredded cabbage, and mushroom soup-filled variation of sloppy joes isn't enough to convince you that the Mennonites are casting aspersions on those of us with stacks of dusty books everywhere, there's also a Sloppy Polly Cake.

I have no idea what makes this "sloppy." I initially supposed that this might have a simplified mixing strategy, maybe even mixed in the pan (rather than a separate bowl) to avoid extra dishes, but that doesn't seem to be the case (though it's hard to tell, as this doesn't say exactly what the cake is supposed to be baked in). 

In any case, if the Kalona Mennonites knew me, I imagine something would be named Sloppy Poppy before too long, as I clearly have zero interest in keeping things neat. I'm thinking (based on my Pieathalon entries) that it might be a Sloppy Poppy Pie Crust that is prone to falling apart and has to keep getting patched back together, but you can speculate in the comments if you want.

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm wondering what sort of a dish a Sloppy Poppy would be. A simple pie crust would be too easy. A guilty pleasure tater tot casserole? A craft project recipe where the maker decided that they weren't going to spend 3 hours constructing elaborate shapes of food to be built into a tower that would be destroyed in the first 10 minutes? Maybe a refrigerator cleaning jello mold that would never come out of the mold in one piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baking, but that is one of the dangers. It can dirty everything in the kitchen.

    I'm glad that your laptop survived you reading about tater-tot-topped Jell-O!

    ReplyDelete